SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost vs. Drive Image

Anyone have experience with using Ghost or Drive Image to automatically restore an image via Silk?

Any idea which is easier to use and script? (Or any other Pros and Cons...)

Thanks,

--Scott

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ghost vs. Drive Image

recent thread on the same topic... http://www.qaforums.com/Forum15/HTML/002546.html

My experience is with Drive Image Pro, now called DeployCenter. It works very well for me. In particular, I make use of their Virtual Boot Disk and TaskBuilder features. These allow me to create an executable for a task which I call from a SYS_Execute in my Silk scritps.

My impression of Ghost or Altiris is that you will need to use them in their client server configuration. I believe they both have a console type of thing that allows you to push a task down to a client machine. Forgive me if my information is not accurate, I'm much more familiar with DriveImage Pro.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Silk to send command line args to Ghost allowing it to reimage about 35 different lab machines. Worked fine. No problems.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJGRay,

How does Ghost handle rebooting the machine in your setup? With Drive Image Pro, they have what they call a "virtual boot disk" that reboots the machine from the network. I had thought that Ghost didn't have such a feature. Are you using the Ghost Console?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Ghost Console to manually restore images. Like the tool you mentioned, it also uses a virtual partion (which it boots to and then waits for commands from the Ghost Console). To use this with SilkTest, I am considering automating the Ghost Console interface, although DJGray says (in another recent post) that I should be able to execute Console actions from the command line.
    Matt Gray