SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem in MMC, Selecting TreeView item

We have a MMC plug in, to which remote servers can be added. When MMC is launched, if a server was previously added and saved in the console file, the logon dialog box comes up.
    Other case is when a new server is added, the server gets added, but when the user tries to select the treeview item for that server, the logon dialog for that server pops up. I am not able to handle this dialog box. The control is already in the Select method of the TreeView control, so I could not figure out where to handle the logon dialog.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Also if the problem description is not clear, please ask for more info.

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem in MMC, Selecting TreeView item

While I don't understand exactly what you are doing, I do have one suggestion.

You can spawn a second thread to look for the login dialog and deal with it while you are dealing with your treeview in your primary thread. There are various ways to implement this, but the most simplistic would be to kick off a separate thread (via spawn) before dealing with the treeview. Once you are done with the treeview you have the separate thread complete. The two threads can 'communicate' by using semaphores - the primary thread can tell the secondary thread to complete this way.

A better solution would be to override the select method for the TreeView control and add in the separate thread there. I've never done that before so I don't know how complicated it is.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlee, You probably have more experience with this than I do, but the help indicates that you can only have 1 thread per agent.

From Help... "You can spawn only one thread for a particular Agent (that is, on a particular machine)."

Saruna, Does the Select mathod fail because of this dialog, or can you handle the dialog after the Select command is executed?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianCarroll:
    From Help... "You can spawn only one thread for a particular Agent (that is, on a particular machine)." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is interesting - I have used it in the past for driving multiple applications on the same machine and it worked fine. I believe that was with 5.0.3 and I haven't tried it with 5.5.

In light of that I would definitely stay away from my suggestion unless all else fails.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, the Select method fails bcoz of the login dialog. I have added the code to handle that dialog in every place i can think of, but its of no use. The derived::Select method gets called. And the login box seems to come up after this method gets called.

I tried spawning a new thread, but the main thread waits on that one, so there seems to be a deadlock.

Also tried to override the SetTrap method but that seems to do nothing.

Thanks for any light you can throw on this.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could try and get kludgie. Write a method that selects the root of your tree and then use TypeKeys() to go down the list to the item you want.

Perhaps you might enlist the help of a developer. In the past we've used SendMessage() or PostMessage(), Win32 api functions, to do some things that didn't work in Silk. Maybe you can post a message that selects the item you want. I'm not sure.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a piece of sample code that I just checked out. I was actually using the parallel statement and forked off to two separate function calls. In you case I would put all my main thread functionality into one of the threads and the other thread would simply loop looking for the login dialog.

There is probably a better way to handle this, but this is worth a try ....

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee