User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differences between Silk 1.1 and Silk 2.0,2.1 and Silk 5.0

hi!! AJ & Peterw
    Thanks for giving me that info on SILK and QAP.
    But i wanted to know the release dates of Silk 1.0, silk 1.1 , silk 2.0 ,silk 2.1, silk 5.0 .( i.e month and year)
    i also wnated to know what are the differences between silk 1.1 , silk 2.1 and silk 5.0.
    Please reply immediately.
    thank you.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Differences between Silk 1.1 and Silk 2.0,2.1 and Silk 5.0

Are you kidding?? Well, here goes the little that I know/remember.

SilkTest 1.x was way before my time. I think it was out around late 1996-1997 but I don't know.

SilkTest 2.0 came out early in 1998 (I think)
    SilkTest 2.0.3 came out in ~March-April 1998

SilkTest 2.1 came out June 1998
    SilkTest 2.1.1 ~July 1998
    SilkTest 2.1.2 ~October 1998
    SilkTest 2.1.4 ~December 1998

SilkTest 5.0 came out in May 1999
    Silktest 5.0.1 ~July 1999

I've never seen SilkTest 1.x and I barely ever worked on SilkTest 2.0.x so I don't know much about them and their differences.

SilkTest 2.1.x and QAPartner 4.6.x marked the beginning of the new way Segue's products implemented the 'extensions.' This is a two step process whereby the target application and the agent each carry some complementary code when they run. This code helps the objects get recognized so their properties and methods can be properly recognized. In ST2.0.x, the extensions for VB apps needed to be manually implanted in the target VB app. Now, the extensions for the target app are taken care of by the Extension Enabler (find it in the program group, off the Start button). I use the analogy of them being sort of like street signs or bouys in a harbor. The process is also referred to 'hooking into the app'. Anyway, this new wrinkle was good but it caused much confusion among users. It also used to cause problems sometimes when the extensions get in the way of things like antiviral software. This arrangement still has problems with the active desktop and IE4/IE5 on Win95/WinNT.

SilkTest 2.1.x to ST5.x didn't have any huge fundamental changes, mainly updates in the development environments and OS versions supported and a lot of bug fixes. ST5.x can support VB6, Java2, Swing1.1, Win98, NS4.0.8-4.7, IE4 and limited IE5 support. (I do okay with ST5.0.1 and IE5 most of the time).

It sounds like a good conversation with your salesrep would help. Have you ever taken any of the training classes?

Cheers,

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Peter
    <LI> peterw@phaseforward.com
    <LI>Phase Forward, Inc. [/list]

<UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]