SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem connecting to 95A machine

I have a 95A machine with a new install of Silktest 5.0.3.2 and networking is enabled for the agent, TCP/IP. I try to connect to this agent from another machine on the domain and it fails. something about a socket connection. Both machines are using dhcp. I've heard that maybe getting a static ip address for my 95A machine will fix the problem. Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

-Brian

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: problem connecting to 95A machine

We don't use static ip address's and it works fine. You did enable the network on the SilkTest (host) machine right?

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian,

How are you making the connection from one machine to the other?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everything's set up correctly. The agent on the 95 machine has TCP/IP enabled. The networking on the host machine is enabled both in the Silk runtime options and in the agent. FYI, the host machine is win2k and uses dhcp. Both are Silk 5.0.3.2. I can even ping the 95 machine ok. I also can connect from the 95 machine to another machine, just can't connect in. I'm using the Connect() statement.

I'm stumped.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do the connection outside the script, by pointing the runtime options to the agent on the 95 machine, do you get the same results?

Does my question make sense?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Applying the DCOM update for Windows 95 might solve your problem: http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/download.asp
    But, you might not consider your tests to be valid for "true" Win95a.

In the days that I tested with Win95a, we always used the NETBIOS to connect to our remote Agents.

If memory serves me correctly, it is because there was a problem with Win95a, specifically, and the TCP/IP Agent.

Since we dropped Win95a, we use TCP/IP for all of our Agents with no problem.

Historically, Win95a always had a problem with TCP/IP, in general. (Micros**t may have designed it that way

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com