SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.5 SP2

In another recent post, a Segue employee stated that SilkTest 5.5 SP2 would be available today. Has anyone been able to obtain this version yet? I just visited their web site and did not see it in the download section.

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5 SP2

SilkTest 5.5 SP2 is now available..

------------------

ANH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are using SilkTest5.5 and are apprehensive about upgrading to SilkTest5.5 SP2 since this might cause our existing 5.5 scripts to stop working.

This was indeed the case when we upgraded from SilkTest5.0 to 5.5. Does anyone have any tips about upgrading between SilkTest versions and keeping your scripts running?

Thanks,

Anh.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only tip is to cross your fingers.

As a general rule of thumb, I apply the ever popular- dont touch it if it works- to SILK upgrades. The only time I will upgrade is when the application I test releases a major version which makes me touch at least 50% of the code.

Good luck

anthony

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pontoriero:
    The only tip is to cross your fingers.

As a general rule of thumb, I apply the ever popular- dont touch it if it works- to SILK upgrades. The only time I will upgrade is when the application I test releases a major version which makes me touch at least 50% of the code.

Good luck

anthony

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. We actually just upgraded from v5.03 recently (and we didn't have any problems!). Unfortunately, sometimes an upgraded is necessary if you want access to a new feature like support for Windows XP and IE6.
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that when I use DOM instead of VO, it is easier to move between versions.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found most SilkTest upgrades usefull. However, I never jsut blindly upgrade. Here is what I do:

1. <LI>On a system that is NOT my main test system, run a smoke test for each product I haev scripts for using the current installed version of SilkTest(in my case, I am writing for 2 seperate products).
      <LI>Save the results for comparison later. Also record the time it took to run the script.
      <LI>Upgrade to the new verion (or patch) of SilkTest
      <LI>Repeat the same tests ran in Step 1.
      <LI>Compare the results with the prrivous run. Also compare the run time.
      <LI>If anything broke, look into how much effort it would be to do a workaround.
      <LI>Look at the new features of the new SilkTest release. If the benifits of the new release outway the workarounds needed, then upgrade.

Typically I upgrade to get bugs that I have worked around fixed. There are times that some other thing breaks and I need to create some other workaround. However, the benifits of the bug fixes and new features are worth the small, if any, workarounds that I need to do. This is not always the case, but I know ever since SilkTest 5.5, all of the patches have helped.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net