SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seque\'s plans for Java 1.4 support ?

Our developers are talking about moving to Java version 1.4.

This concerns me, because, as I understand it, the latest SilkTest will not work with 1.4.

Does anyone know if Segue has announced a date for this upgrade ?

Thanks,

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Seque\'s plans for Java 1.4 support ?

The issue is not what the developers develop in, but rather what VM you use to run the application. If you can still run in 1.3 you will be fine.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you dont care about testing what the customer gets (JRE 1.4), then go ahead and use any JRE.
    In my case, when we upgrade to JRE 1.4, Silk's scripts will be useless because I cannot be 100% sure my tests will pass in 1.4 even though they may pass in 1.3.
    There are a ton of fixes and new bugs in JRE 1.4 There are several key things I have found in 1.4 that did not exist in 1.3.

Anthony

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest supports JRE 1.3; Mike Ruggiero, ST development manager, has JRE 1.4 on his list of enhancements for SilkTest. (Is 1.4 actually GA yet?)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heidi-

JRE 1.4 is GA see this link:
    http://java.sun.com/pr/2001/05/pr010529-01.html

This IS ALREADY posing a great problem for many testers since we cannot use SilkTest with JRE 1.4 at all. To me this is not a enhancement- it is HIGH priority fix- SILKTEST does not work at all.

Anthony

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Heidi.
    I do need to agree with Pontoriero though.
    This is a HIGH priority update for us too.
    I probably could try to run code developed with 1.4 in a 1.3 VM, but the developers here would not seriously look at hard to reproduce problems found with a non-production VM.

And there are a lot of these problems -- the whole reason that we have stayed with the 1.2.2 VM so long is connection and timing problems between the 1.3 VM and our CORBA middleware.

If 1.4 fixes these problems, it would not be valid to test our GUI running with a 1.3 VM.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Called Tech support and the person I spoke with was not aware of any issues with 1.4. Asked him to get me a date of support of 1.4, he wrote me a mail telling me it's in the pipe for the next release and he wanted to close my trouble ticket. I then spoke with him on the phone to get him to NOT close my ticket because my issue was not resolved.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that they are working on the support of JRE 1.4, but it will be integrated into the next release. From my surprise, he told me there was no target date for the next release, but his gut feeling was 2 or 3 months. It seems the tech support has improved a great deal, but their willingness to provide actual fixes for problems is still terible. Nevertheless, he also told me that this IS an ENHANCEMENT and thus will not be work on specifically.

So, for all of us that are on 1.4, we should just toss our tests cause they are garbage. I am going to look at some other tools (besides winrunner).

This is not the first time I had a major silk issue, so I warned my managers not to expect results, but it becomes disturbing when I have to look at my mangagers and say a tool we just dished out thousands for (including maint) does not fix any problems we find.

ANYONE WITH 1.4 ISSUES, CONTACT segue support and demand a FIX so that SILK is NOT 100% dead with 1.4. There must be an "easy" fix to get something.

Anthony

------------------