User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan file changes aren\'t seen until file is closed

Silk 5.5 HF 4 Windows NT

After about an hour of tinkering with my plan file, I finally figured out that minor edits are not noticed when I execute my tests. I tried saving the plan file first and also compiling the plan file (which never seemed to do a new compile) without any success. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

I mark one test and execute it successfully. Then I make minor changes to the plan file as outlined below and rerun the marked test (always with the 'run marked tests' button). The minor updates are ignored on these subsequent runs.

I have several parameters for each test case in my plan file:
    Each of these parameters is defined at the top of the file:

I can comment out the Excel line, uncomment the Access line and it will use Access on the next execution of a procedure. However, I can do the opposite - comment out Access and uncomment Excel and it will still try to use Access. It will not accept the changes unless I close the plan file and reopen it.

I have also changed a test case name (to force an error) by adding in one character. The test ran fine (using the original test case name, not the updated test case name)until I closed and reopened the plan file. If I copy a 'testcase' line and update it the updates are taken immediately.

I also noticed that if I add a blank line at the top of my plan file none of my marked tests would execute. I could unmark and remark them but they still wouldn't run. Silk didn't show any tests as being marked for execution in the output file even though they were marked in the plan file.

I'm not stuck on this since I know what's going on, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems. I'm going to report them to Segue and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Plan file changes aren\'t seen until file is closed

You can run into issues like this if you are changing the PC date / time during the test runs. For this I always set back to the current PC date / time, close, and reopen.

Also make sure in the runtime options that you are not saving object files during compilation.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Steven Tyler
    Lead SQA Automation Engineer
    Workforce Central Group
    Kronos Incorporated
    E-Mail: styler@kronos.com
    www.kronos.com
    Improving the Performance of People and Business™
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated