SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which machine should I install SilkMeter on?

I am about to upgrade to Silktest 5.5, and am considering which machine to install the licence server on. The obvious choice is our company's main file server, on which we also keep all our script/plan/etc files.
    But, people have commented on how they have had continuing complications with SilkMeter. If this involves repeatedly going back to the machine on which silkmeter is installed and tinkering, then that might mean I should install it on a PC nearer to the desk where we work, to avoid having to trek down to the server room every time.
    Any ideas/comments? For reference, we have two silktest licences (though we anticipate installing silktest on multiple machines), and have no intention of ever using silktest when disconnected from the network. We don't do web testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which machine should I install SilkMeter on?

You shouldn't have to muck around with it much. It is a solid product. If you have network problems or upgrade your policy file frequently you may not want to install in on a machine which you do not have access to. Otherwise, stick it on your file server.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with TestArch. I haven't had to tinker with our SilkMeter machine at all and we've been using it for quite some time.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although in general the SilkMeter has been pretty stable ... we have had 2 occasions (in 6 + months of usage) where we needed to reload the policy file and/or upgrade SilkMeter to solve some remote license checkout problems.

The upshot, I guess, is if you intend to use the remote license feature, you may find yourself tweaking it a bit more than in local-only usage.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Meter a solid product? We have had plenty of problems with it and numerous support calls since switching to this setup for SilkTest 5.5 use. Fortunately for the past month we've been fairly stable.

I recommend a system you can get to easily and tinker with--especially if you try setting up grants. We ended up having to disable grants altogether to get it working reliably. We also split our licenses so we have multiple Silk Meter servers available in the event one server goes down.

The CPU demands for the system aren't high.