User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running scripts remotely

I have a large suite of test scripts that have always been run locally on the machine where SilkTest is installed. I am interested in changing this so that SilkTest is driving the test on another machine using the Agent. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas of my script code that may have a problem running remotely like this? For example, are there certain built-in 4Test functions that may fail or need tweaking in remote environment. I have seen issues discussed in this forum concerning the file access functions. Are there any other issues? Thanks in advance.
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Running scripts remotely

*** edit -- I should have read your whole message -- you know about file access ***

If your test works with any files -- test data or bitmaps -- for example, you will need to make sure that your file path name perspective is consistently correct.

Any SilkTest functions that is prefixed with "SYS_" will look for files from the perspective of the REMOTE machine.

Normal file handling functions like FileOpen() look for files from the perspective of the local "host" machine running SilkTest.

Other than that, it is not very difficult.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 02-15-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest way to ensure that file access doesn't cause complications is to have all the files you want to access located on a server, in which case the file location (e.g. "Z:\directory\filename.ext") will be valid on each machine you want to run scripts on.
    Another thing to consider, which I found significant, is that odbc access through the DBTester functions all takes place through the host machine, not the target machine.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that when installing Silk on the Target system, you need to install the entire package, not just the Agent. For some reason when only the agent is installed on the target system, some controls are not seen the same way.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time I've ever noticed controls to be read differently by silktest are:
    - running an a different OS
    - I forgot to enable an extension
    I don't think the silktest host (partner.exe) looks at the aut at all, even when running on the local machine it has to start the agent in order to connect with the aut.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our problem was with VB applications. It was reported and duplicated by Segue.

Two more things:
    In the past there were two things that would cause problems. If the target system name was longer then 10 characters or if the system name started with a number. (I have not tried longer names or numeric names with version 5.5.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlvranas:
    Our problem was with VB applications. It was reported and duplicated by Segue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response. I am interested in the details of this problem you describe. My AUT is most written in C++ but does have some VB components, so we enable a few extensions. Are you saying that this could be a problem for remote operations?

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our applications GUI was written completely in VB. The backend components were written in VC. We also have lots of 3rd party controls. When the application was installed on a system that had the full install of SilkTest (5.03, 5.032, 5.5) and the extensions (Silk and Agent) enabled, the text boxes appeared as VBTextBox, frames as VBFrames and the tags were txtName txtAddress fraAddressInfo which were the names assigned by the developers. When the application was installed on a system that had the Agent Only installed, (again with the extensions enabled) the tags set by the developers were not seen, instead, it used the text of the closest label.

To get around the problem, we installed the full version of Silk on all systems and configure the extensions the same. (We only ran the agent on the target system.) Since then, we have not had any problems.

I have not heard of anyone else having this type of problem. It could be related to our application.

(If you would like more details or other info you can send me a message directly at thomas.l.vranas@us.andersen.com)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've attached some file manipulation functions that work on remote machines if anyone is interested.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonyM:
    I've attached some file manipulation functions that work on remote machines if anyone is interested.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I was just trying to run my scripts and was having problems with reading an INI file. I will reuse your functions!
    Matt Gray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast