SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differences between Silk , Silktest and QA Partner and it\'s versions in Depth

hi!!
    I would like to know what are the differences between Silk, silktest and QA Partner.
    If, so what were the release dates of QA Partner and Silk versions in the last few years. I am asking this, as i have to conduct interviews and check the resumes.

Please mail me as soon as possible.
    email id: cool1877@mailcity.com
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Differences between Silk , Silktest and QA Partner and it\'s versions in Depth

Hi,

Silk was the name (unofficially/officially) for SilkTest when it first came out. That name was chosen to reflect its focus on the WWW for testing (webs - made of silk, get it? sheesh...) SilkTest has most of the functionality QAPartner has on Windows, except that it has the extensions for the Netscape and IE browsers built in. SilkTest did not have the UNIX, Mac or OS/2 functionality (those are still in QAPartner 4.0.1).

Silktest and QAPartner both use the 4Test scripting language and work pretty much the same. QAPartner just couldn't test browsers.

Anyway, Segue started to change its brand-naming scheme to reflect its focus as an e-business company in late 1998 so everything became SilkThis, SilkThat, SilkTheOtherThing...

That shift also spelled the demise (sort of) of QAPartner. The last release of QAPartner (or QualityWorks) was 4.6.2 in late 1998. Up until then, Silk (now called SilkTest) was released in parallel as follows:

Windows releases:
    SilkTest 2.1 = QAPartner 4.6
    SilkTest 2.1.1 = QAPartner 4.6.1
    SilkTest 2.1.2 = QAPartner 4.6.2
    SilkTest 2.1.4 had NO QAPartner 4.6.4 match.
    (they upgraded you to ST2.1.4 if you needed those bug fixes).

Then, in the Spring of 1999, SilkTest 5.0 was released and the QAPartner name for Windows releases disappeared, as QAPartner for Windows is totally encompassed by ST5. For continuity's sake, they kept the release numbering for QAPartner's level and came out with ST5 instead of something like ST2.5. They say they did this to reduce confusion for their QAPartner customers.

There's more to it than that, but that's the basics.

Cheers,

peterw

<UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Differences between Silk , Silktest and QA Partner and it\'s versions in Depth

Back in 92 or 91 I think there was QAP 1.0 Which was called something different (I cannot remember that name)

Then there was QAP 1.1 (Where I 1st started using it), in 93-94 there was 2.0 and in 95-96 there was 3.0 and 3.5. In 97-98 there were the 4.0 and 4.01, 4.5, 4.51, 4.52, 4.6, 4.61, 4.62 releases. In the same time frame about 97 there was SilkTest which was QAP + Browser testing. they had SilkTest 1.0, and 1.1, then in 98 there were SilkTest 2.0 and 2.1. Finally they combined the 2 products in 99 in SilkTest 5.0, then they released 5.01 recently.

This is purely out of memory, I may be off here and there and anybody's welcome to correct me

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

SilkTest was QA Partner with some additional files shipped with it that helped it recognize Browser objects. The executables for the two were identical. One bit was shifted to signify which caption the UI would have.

AJ, for all that it's worth, I think pre-1.0 was called QA Bench or something like that.

Make that QA Workbench...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever notice the name of the SilkTest executable? PARNTER.EXE
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,
    After trying 2 days about history I found all my questions answered here.
    This is really a great forum consisting of some great guys.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Vikram
    QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cyber:
    hi!!
    I would like to know what are the differences between Silk, silktest and QA Partner.
    If, so what were the release dates of QA Partner and Silk versions in the last few years. I am asking this, as i have to conduct interviews and check the resumes.

Please mail me as soon as possible.
    email id: cool1877@mailcity.com
    Thank you
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">========================
    The release dates of QA Partner and Silk versions are important/necessary for your interviews? No kidding?

Sounds kind of stupid. QA Partner, Silk, and SilkTest are basically the same product (except Silk or SilkTest having Web app support) so what difference does it make if one resume says "QA Partner" and the other says "SilkTest"?

Don't you think asking more technical questions about the tool would be better than asking for release dates and versions?

Wow! Everyone, starts memorizing the release dates and versions before you go on interviews!