SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java TreeView - can\'t select due to length of item?

I'm using Silk 5.5 with HotFix 4 on Windows NT. I have a JavaJFCTreeView, and I can't select one of the subitems on the tree. I have tried to select it using the exact text from the item (which I got from GetContents), and this doesn't work. I have also tried using "#1" and this doesn't work either. I can select all my other tree items either using the exact text or using the generic #1, #2, etc.

The item I can't select has 123 characters in it. The items I can select are all much smaller - like 10 characters or so.

Here is some code snippets:

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions on how to select these items?

Thanks,

Atlee

------------------
    Atlee

[This message has been edited by awhiteleather (edited 02-06-2002).]
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Java TreeView - can\'t select due to length of item?

Atlee,

Been a while, but yes I've seen similar problems with JFC Trees. If I recall, what I ended up doing was reading the whole tree ito a List of String and then parsing that list till I found the item I wanted. Get the index of that item and then click on it by index number rather than by the String name.

That's pretty vague, I know, but I do recall that that is how I solved the problem.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally tracked the problem down. You can not have a forward slash in a JavaJFCTree view. I had a '/' in the item and Silk failed to see the item. I assume that is because it is the separator character for the tree heirarchy.

I had to track the problem down myself. The support people said they couldn't do anything without an application that demonstrated the failure. After I complained, they pointed me to the canned Java test application and asked if it showed the problem I was reporting. It took about 10 minutes for me to enter in the information from my problem report and reproduce the problem. Of course, it was *ENTIRELY* too much work for them to do this, even though I reported my exact tree structure in the problem report.

I really wonder about their support team sometimes .......

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you solved the problem. And on the other issue, it frustrates me to no end that this issue continues to be an issue. One would think the message would have gotten through by now. In my converstations with Segue over the years, it seems they believe they are fixing this problem. Based on your post, I'm guessing you would say otherwise.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue "support"'s entire strategy is to give you the run-around for anything that sounds like a real problem.
    They always ask you to send in your application -- nobody ever does -- either because of company secrecy, or because it takes a massive client/server setup to make it run.

Anyway, I too have found JavaJFCTrees to be very flaky.
    I redid the Select() method to do a GetContents() to get a list of all choices.
    My Select() then searches through that list for a MatchStr() and selects by item number.
    It seems to be more stable that way.
    ------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 03-01-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whooo Hooo! I got a pretty good workaround from Michelle at Segue (and it sounds like it is very similar to what Rob did). Here are the details - I've modified things just a little bit:

Create a new class:

Redefine the tree view to be a JavaJFCTreeViewEx:

Now you can call TreeView.ExpandEx and the treeview item will expand.

------------------
    Atlee

[This message has been edited by awhiteleather (edited 03-08-2002).]
    Atlee