SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Help!) with dynamic HTML Table Check box.

I have a html page that is the result of a user selection from the application database. The results are displayed in a HTML table. The columns are fixed but the number of rows can vary from 0 to 999. The functionality is for the user to check one or more check boxes in the first column and then press the "FrontRead" button to get additional details on the selected records.

The web site is meant to use IE 5.0 or 5.5

What I am trying to do is check or uncheck individual checkboxes. I have tried the GetRowChildren function. This worked to return the object from the first column in a given row into a list of window. I could then manipulate the list as if it were the object itself. This only worked for one day. Segue said it should never have worked and suggested that I use the GetChildren method.

I have used the GetChildren method against the Table Column and it returns all of the Check Box objects into a list of Window. But when I try to perform check box methods against members of the list I get this message.

[ ] *** Error: Window '/[MainWin]Front Read Selection - Microsoft Internet Explorer/[BrowserChild]Front Read Selection/[HtmlTable]Front Reading/[HtmlColumn]Project:/[HtmlTable]Selection Criteria...' is not exposed

The list member printed object path for the specific error above is.

FrontReadSelection.Network.ProjectHeader.Selection Criteria.SelCol.HtmlCheckBox("07200414470190200103 |#3|$checkBox[3]")

Does any one have any ideas on how I might be able to dynamically get the Check Box object from a row and manipulate it?

I am at my wits end! I have attached an inc file, examples of code I have tried and 4 instances of the html page. I would really appreciate another eye on this problem as I am the sole Segue Automation engineer for this company.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 01-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 01-29-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: (Help!) with dynamic HTML Table Check box.

I am assuming by the silence on the board about this topic that I have either confused people about the issue or I have asked the impossible.

In either case I still feel better in knowing that it wasn't an easy situation to deal with. I just hate it when it looks like it should be so easy and turns out to be very difficult.

I love this board. I have been able to get a many new perspectives and ideas in Silk Test Automation. I have been using the tool for several years in Client Server applications. This is the first time I have used it against a Web App. I will endeavor to help anyone that I can with their Silk problems.

Again, I would like to thank the people for taking the time to read this post.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it worked for me:

BrowserPage.HtmlTable("#2").HtmlColumn("#1").HtmlT able("#1").HtmlColumn("Sel|#1").HtmlCheckBox("#1") .Check ()

Now some of the declaration will be fixed some not. Just make a window type with the fixed stuff. You might want to run this code BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("ShowBorderlessTables",1,USEROPT_DEFAULT). Search for borderless in help for more info. It sets the sensibility of silk to borderless tables, but works for visible tables too. Put it back to your default value(.5 usually) when done, because you may cause other control not to work.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I understand what you have suggested. I have done some reading on the "Guidelines to recognizing borderless tables". If I set it to 1 Silk test should get more sensitive to the input objects in the table right?

But if I set it to 1 it grabs a whole bunch of objects that silk did not see before.

Because of this I am going to have to rerecord this page with the value set to 1 to have a proper declaration right? Then when testing the page I dynamically set the value to 1 with this statement BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("ShowBorderlessTables",1,USEROPT_DEFAULT) and when I am done with the page I set it back to .5.

Am I any where close to the idea here?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you understood my idea.

1)set borderless thing to 1
    2)do your table stuff
    3)set borderless thing to original value

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, My name is emay and I am a new member. I wonder if I can ask you a question since your question is kind of similar with mine. The difference is that the dynamic object I want to select is not in a table, it's a bunch of PopupList, I need choose one of them each time I go this page. I couldn't figure out how to do it and hope you might can help me out.
    Hope it won't disturb you much.
    Thank you for your help.
    Emay

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emay,

The get children function should work for you. Just point it at the window that contains all of the PopLists. i.e

lwPopList = mywindow.mycontrol.GetChildren()

From there it will be logic that will dictate what you do with the list. If there is some rhyme or reason to the page then it shouldn't be too difficult to program some intelligence into the script to handle the situation. Each element of the list can be manipulated as a control. It will use the methods of the control of which it is a member. "PopupList". There may be other controls returned in the list so be aware of that too.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blacst,

Going by your description, I did a similar thing in a previous job. Assuming that the the first checkbox in your table has index 1 you can search through the table using GetRowText to find the line of the entry you want to select. You can then select wWin.HtmlCheckBox("#{Row}").Check (). If the index if the first checkbox in the table is not one, add its index to get the correct row.

This worked for me, but in big tables it was not fast (go off for lunch and it was still running when you came back kind of not fast!)

Hope this helps,

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi, blacst,
    I don't understand your line here:
    lwPopList = mywindow.mycontrol.GetChildren()
    control is related to Popuplist, links and checkboxes right? Say I have a window called Window1 which has one browserchild window called Childwin, under Childwin are links Popuplists, texts...then how should I apply your line?
    Sorry I'm new for Silktest, so I need more info.
    Thanks blacst.
    Emay

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> lwPopList = Mywindow.mycontrol.GetChildren()

Popuplists, links, checkboxes, text fields etc. are all controls - objects that a user can manipulate. Your example:

lwPopList = Window1.Childwin.GetChildren()

Windows and dialogboxes are containers which hold controls. Windows and dialogs can also be viewed as the parents of the objects that they contain - hence GetChildren().

John

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast