SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making sure functionalities are all the same between two products

Another odd question. I would like to compare functionalities between two products.
    Here's an explanation. We have a software which runs on Windows systems. This software will be upgraded to run from the web. The features will be pratically all the same. Presently, the only method which I know is to do a manual comparison. Sure I will make some new tests for it, but I woulk like to know if a quick method exists. Does anyone have a suggestion to make sure that all features are included the new product?

Thanks so much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Making sure functionalities are all the same between two products

I have (twice) compared the behaviour of legacy software with new software using SilkTest as my primary tool.

To do this I created a "data collector" SilkTest script that I ran with the legacy software (which had been tested in the field for more than five years). It read all of the allowed settings, ranges, etc. and wrote this data as a SilkTest script to be run against the new software.

It was actually not too difficult to do -- and I think it was a better test than creating a new test from scratch.

It does require some advanced techniques of an experienced SilkTest user.

I described it in better detail in a post about 1-1/2 years ago. There are some things I might do a little differently the third time around. Search the QAForums archive for more info.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 01-24-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rob,

First, thanks for your answer.

I went to see in the archive files and I didn't find any message concerning this subject. I made my search using the following keywords: "Rob Kapteyn", "RobKapteyn", "data collector" and the only result I got is the message I sent. All other messages are not related to my search.

Do you have any idea on which keyword I should focus my search?

I think I understand what you want to say, but I would appreciate finding your text in which you give more details.

Thanks again,
    Marc

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) if you only want to compare gui difference then that is quiet easy.

2) if you want to compare functionality then you will need to write test cases(for the new app) and compare the actual results.

if you choose #2 you should do #1 first then emphasize on the diff obtained in #1. Also it depends how detailed you want this test to be.

There is no easy way out for you, my friend

------------------