SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Home Page Info stored (drive file) in IE?

In corporate infinite wisdom that have decided to push I.E. 5.5 out to everyone and set the Home page to the company intranet site and then keep the users from changing the home page. (Not sure how they can do that but....)

Not only does it remove my freedom of choice but it will cause a little problem for me in testing web sites from my desk top. I know during the invoke I can set up the URL to hit but that is not the solution I am looking for.

I figure that the information about the homepage, favorites and other I.E. settings are probably stored in some sort of ini file. Does anyone know where this file is?

Thank you in advance for your time in this matter.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Where is Home Page Info stored (drive file) in IE?

My guess is that they change it in a script that runs when you logon to your workstation. So even if you change it, it will get changed back. Have you tried explaining why it is a problem for you to someone who could do something about it?

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it turns out, a whole lot of people had a problem with the IT group doing this. "Power to the People!" lol. They are reconsidering this action.

I am still curious as to where this information is stored on my system. My Favorites are stored in a "Favorites" folder under my NT users profile. I bet the Home page is done in a similar manner but still can't find it.

------------------

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick check of the system registry shows that my IE5 (Win2000) home page settings are stored in the Start Page key at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that is exactly where I found it. Now I might have to create a script to go into the registry and update that value after the IT scripts have finished running on my machine during boot up.

I love it when an IT plan is thwarted! lol.

Well I hope they come to their senses on this issue. Our group is still on IE 5.0 because the production scoring centers still wants the 5.0 browsers for their employees to view the scoring. But if IT moves desktop machines to 5.5 and lock down the home page it makes it difficult for me to develop silk scripts from my desk for the application on 5.0. (OK, I am too lazy to walk to the lab.)

I can uninstall the 5.5 back to 5.0. I did it when the scoring centers wanted to go to 5.5 this summer and then decided not to. But the Home page thing really had me miffed.

------------------