User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Test International

Hi,
    I'd like to know if anyone has worked on Silk Test International. I want more information on Internationalization/Localization Testing using silk test international. Anyone worked/working on Internationlisation./..Please Help. Is it sufficient to record the script in one langauage and run it for different languages ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Test International

good point sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we are in the process of such a transition.
    We recorded all scripts on english locale and now the time has come to run these scripts on german and swedish locale for the same product.

following stpe was taken to internationalize the scripts.
    1) replace the window multitags with indexes
    (e.g. : tag #1 instead of
    tag "my window" )
    2) indexes were omitted from the tags for LINKS and was replaced by its javascript action

(e.g. htmllink GO
    multitag #1
    "javascript"selfsubmitbutton("go")"

was made
    htmllink GO
    tag "javascript"selfsubmitbutton("go")"

but by and large ...the hardcoded strings in the t file had to be manually replaced

any better suggestions or are we destined to do this tedious job??
    phil

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all. SilkTestI is only necessary if you are testing on double-byte o/s's. Otherwise, the regular SilkTest will work just fine on other languages.

When possible, we declare everything using control ID's only. When it's not possible, we use string variables for the tag. The string variables are defined in an include file with the english translation. We then put the foreign translation of the variables in a text file and then parse out the text file in ScriptEnter if the o/s is a non-english language. So if I'm testing German, I have a german.txt file that ScriptEnter will parse out to translate.

Segue is currently working with Microsoft to come up with a way to recognize window dialogs by control ID which would save a lot of work.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We also approach testing localized (single-byte) versions of our software like TonyM. The only difference is that instead of using a text file to store the strings, we store them in an include file. This, of course, requires the tester to configure SilkTest to "use" the correct include file for the language being tested.

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using TonyM's technique--defining the tag as a variable--does not allow the recorders to later be used; the most important of which is Record Identifier when debugging a "can't find the object" type of failure.

At least this was the case using Silk 5.0.3--OR has this now changed in SilkTest 5.5 or SilkTest I?

-Terry Horwath

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following on from MattGray, this is the approach I have taken in the past. I created scripts which parsed out all the caption tags in the include files, replaced them with variables and put 'varname = "caption"' into a separate include file. This 'glossary' could then be sent off to the translator for translation. My view is that by using some kind of glossary (either text or include) you benefit by having the tool catch (some of the) translation errors.

Unfortunately I do not have these scripts any more, but I do remember they took a couple of days to write and did pay off (we were able to create glossaries for browser include files - IE, Netscape) in about half an hour.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry - Recording will indeed work if you resource the strings. Whether you are running the double byte version of SilkTest or not is irrelevant. If your recording isn't working, it's because you've got more going on than just that.
    AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had any problems with my recorders and i'm using 5.0.2

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.