User Tag List

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email results files in plain text

I am wondering if there is anyone who knows or has some code on how to use an email/outlook server on the network to email results files (text files) without having to automate outlook application.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Email results files in plain text

I use Windows Scripting Host. The script calls SilkTest, then sends the results via email. Of course, you also need to have the results in a text file to do that.

There are sample WSH scripts fro sending mail on Microsoft site (just do a search).

Below is a WSH subroutine for sending mail:

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

[This message has been edited by davidgenrich (edited 01-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by davidgenrich (edited 01-15-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like this is most wanted code. Though I do not have code but you can create a VB exe to do this and execute it in Silk Test

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the Code.
    Do you have to have a valid email account aswell?
    The machine I want to use is Win2k and is on the network so it has access to SMTP server but doesn't have an email account.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, doing it with the code above, and with Micorsoft's Email (with is VERY open), you can say you are "Bill Gates" or "Automation God" and it would go through.

The code above also will not work on Windows NT, since it didn't have the CDO API's.

On Windows 2000, it works. You just need to be able to ping your mail server (be on the same network).

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KS:
    Having an email account is usually neccessary to send email. Otherwise, all of the computer storage of the world would be filled to capacity with spam

There IS a very simple alternative to email that does not require an account. You can use "Net Send" to send a pop-up message from your test like this:

I like this because it is so simple.
    It does requires that both computers are on the same "Microsoft Windows Network" and are running the "Messenger Service" (some people disable this service on machines that do automated testing).
    ------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 01-18-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a cool idea, but i have to send a list of testcases that failed and I have about 600 running everyday.
    The only problem I am facing with the above code is that our server don't allow us to go to site like http://schemas.microsoft.com etc and when I comment out those lines i get into some compile errors.
    Thanks for your help

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an executable called gbmail.exe. So I can send mail by issuing a command line. You can send subject, body and attachments. It is very simple to use and uses your smtp server. Send me your e-mail address and I can send you the executable and supporting code along with how it works. My e-mail address is tony.morgan@wonderware.com

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Sounds really a good approch to find problem in time, question is the function:
    GetTotalErrorCount()} are silk build-in? which level shall I put this code(the end of testcase)?

Thx,

I like this because it is so simple.
    It does requires that both computers are on the same "Microsoft Windows Network" and are running the "Messenger Service" (some people disable this service on machines that do automated testing).[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    RH

[This message has been edited by rhuo (edited 01-22-2002).]