User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Datadriven scripts

Hi,

Wanted to have views as to when is it a good idea to have datadriven scripts.

Thanks,

------------------
    quality - a way of life!
    quality - a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Datadriven scripts

Anytime. Maybe all the time.
    When your GUI is stable enough (not changing) and you don't want to hard-code your data in your test scripts (less maintenance overhead) and your data can be in a spreadsheet or a text file --- datadriven scripts should be the way to go!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I like data-driven testing for cases when the GUI is NOT stable. I organize the data to express testcases in terms of business rules which are usually well defined and more stable than the GUI. My data-to-GUI test harness can then be updated for GUI navigation changes and the test cases expressed in my data do not need to be changed.

All of my testing is now data-driven.

We consider testing of functionality more critical than testing details of the appearance of the GUI. (which are better tested manually anyway)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 01-12-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever you wanna test with lot of combinations of data and
    if your applications functionality behaves differently with different sets of data and
    if its required to test data entry rules

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our case the system is very data dependant change the data and the system won't work right.

We use the AUT's own database to navigate through the screens, find users, validate searches, ect. We also use an Access database that we have created functions and tables in to generate external data with which to test adding data of sorts to the system.

Without datadriven we would be coding like mad all day long just to do it again tomorrow.

This is a nutshell view of what we are doing with datadriven testing but you get the idea. If you want some more detailed ideas and/or examples just e-mail me.