SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SYS_Execute() \"hangs\" Silk 5.5 on Win2k?

Has anyone experienced any problems with SYS_Execute() causing a hang when running a CMD window on Win2k with Silk 5.5 (HF4 and SP1)?

We've got a handful of machines that all work just fine ... but one machine simply hangs when we call SYS_Execute() and invoke a CMD window. The CMD window appears, but Silk seems to be waiting for SYS_Execute() to return. NOTE: The command we're using is SYS_Execute("start cmd.exe") which generally works as "start" returns completion immediately -- so then, does SYS_Execute().

In fact, if we manually intervene and close the CMD window, the script continues quite nicely (except that the stuff in the CMD window didn't execute and thus the testcase fails).

Again -- this works just fine on a flock of other machines. We've cleaned the offending machine, reformatted, reloaded, and still the problem persists.

I checked the threads here on SYS_Execute() and the CMD windows just "closing" ... perhaps it's related ... but no solution was posted.

Ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SYS_Execute() \"hangs\" Silk 5.5 on Win2k?

I'm not sure I can help with your problem, but I can tell you that SYS_Execute() does not work as well on Win NT/2k as it does on Win95/98/ME. When I use this function on Windows NT, about 20% of the time I get a "MS-DOS Subsystem" error window that gives me the choice of Terminate or Ignore. I click Ignore, and the script continues with no problem. The error is totally random and only happens about 1 out of 5 times. I have seen this on several Win NT and 2k machines, but have never had a machine that hangs every time.

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Brent,

Here are two options.

First (the one I use on Win2k):
    I created a very simple window declaration for the cmd window. Then I use CommandWindow.Start ("c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe") to launch the cmd window. Then I use TypeKeys to enter my commands into the window.

Second:
    Use the windows api ShellExecute instead of SYS_Execute:
    [-] dll "shell32.dll"
    [ ] long ShellExecute
    (long hwnd, string lpOperation, string lpFile, string lpDirectory , string lpParameters, long nShowCmd)
    alias "ShellExecuteA"

I've attached the declarations I use for the CommandWindow because when I open the cmd window I actually pass in a /K option that allows me to alter the title of the command window. This gives me the ability to have multiple command windows open at the same time. Not that having multiple command windows open is always a good idea.

Hope this helps.

- Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the thoughts ... both would be useful under slightly different circumstances.

My biggest problem is that we have lots of places where we use this ... and courtesy of prior regimes, the code is duplicated all over. Thus, I can't fix this in one place unless I clean up this particular pile of code -- not something I can do right now.

The most perplexing thing is that it works on the other machines just fine. I was hoping someone had encountered this and already done the massive machine diffs to determine what magic file(s) had to be "fixed" to solve the problem.

Given that our QA machines are all configured identically (in theory), that's my next task -- identify what is different on the failing machine and "fix" it.

<sigh>

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Brent, can't help you there. Good luck.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thought I'd wrap this up neatly ... we reinstalled HotFix 4 for the AGENT, and voila, everything started working!

Now, don't ask me why ... it really shouldn't work this way. We really shouldn't be installing the Agent HF4 "patch" on a machine that runs both SilkTest and Silk Agent ... but that solved the problem.

My guess is that some file was somehow out of synch from order of installation or didn't completely uninstall or ???

Just thought I'd make everyone's day.

Another mystery in the wonderful world of test automation.

------------------