SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Framefile not working

I just started working on a laptop a few days ago. I had previously created frame files (saved on network) on the desktop system I was using before then. Since re-installing the same software on this computer, I can launch the application's default basestate from the frame file, but no objects are being recognized when recording scripts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Patrick Briand

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Framefile not working

Your question is a little vague, with a little more detail I might be able to provide better help. Since I don't record my test cases (I write them from scratch) I am not very familiar with how that process works. Have you brought over the declaration files from the desktop computer? It sounds like you may be missing declaration files in your new setup. It's also possible that you may have to re-record your window declarations on the laptop machine, especially if it is running a different OS.

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The desktop system I was using was running Win98 SE (French). The laptop is running with the same OS. Also, I have checked and doublechecked the following:

All silktest files I created are in their respective locations on my laptop.
    All file references contained within the inc files are correct.
    All applications being tested have not changed. (Delphi apps)

The names I assigned to the objects were being recognized before I switched computers. Now, all the work I have put into the framefile (.inc) isn't producing any results for me. It's as though no entries exist for the couple hundred fields I had to define.

If you or anyone else can give me some help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick Briand

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest picking one dialog from your app and re-declaring it to a new .inc file. Compare it to your old .inc file and see if there are any differences. You might also try creating a "mini-script" that only uses that one dialog, just to see if it works on the laptop system. If both systems are using the same OS, the files should be interchangeable.
    Hopefully you will not have to re-delare all your windows on the laptop system, but that looks like a last resort to get it running.

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which application did you re-install? Silk or the applcation under test?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Patrick,

If start using the Option Set by saving a new option set in your desktop system where everything seems to work then copying this option set and opening it in your laptop system, this should eliminate a lot of headaches. Your Runtime Options settings should match and all your GUI mappings should be there for you!
    Check the Online Help for more info about Option Set.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loaded the Options set, however the reason the objects weren't being recognized lies in the tag declarations. I had been using the object's window handler, however this handler changes from system to system. It provides an unreliable reference to the object.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it.

Patrick Briand

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couple of reasons.

Check IE version
    Check yr extensions. DOM and VO works different.
    If you have recorded window dclarations with DOM they will not work for IE VO or any Netscape versions.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree