SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest shuts down in the middle of a test

I have a SilkTest script where SilkTest is shutting down in the middle of running the script. There is no error message, nothing is written to the results file, SilkTest simply shuts down. The agent remains running, but does nothing.

The problem started when I modified my script to work with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (previously I was using Sybase SQL Anywhere 7.0). There was only a slight change to the SQL statement - using EPSDBA.TABLENAME instead of DBA.TABLENAME. The code still works fine with SQL Anywhere. I cannot say exactly where the problem occurs, because again, there is no error message written to the results file or logged by the system. If I step through the code in debug mode, the crash does not happen. I receive exactly the results I am expecting and the script continues.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

The code in question is copied below:
    ------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems

[This message has been edited by pcfountain (edited 01-08-2002).]
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest shuts down in the middle of a test

New Information:
    I have pinpointed the problem in debug mode. Now when I step through, SilkTest always shuts down immediately after the DB_Disconnect statement. I have even written a "mini-script" that simply connects, then disconnects from a MS SQL Server database. It does not open any statement handles or perform any operations on the database. The same thing happens on the DB_Disconnect command.

I have gone as far as turning on my trace command in the ODBC driver. It shows a successful connect, then a successful disconnect from the database. It would appear that SilkTest is having major problems disconnecting from a SQL Server database! Help please!

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a problem with the ODBC driver, not SilkTest.
    Did you change from a Sybase to a Microsoft driver in your SQL Data Source definition ?
    Which version Micros**t driver ? They all seem to have a variety of bugs. The newest is not always the best. Try another version. Ask Segue to recommend a driver for your version of SilkTest.

You should also go to your "System" control panel, "Advanced", "Startup and Recovery", look under "System Failure". Check "Write event to log" and "Send Alert".

Then -- when you get a fatal System error (like this probably is) -- you will get some info about it -- I suspect it will point to the ODBC driver.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 01-08-2002).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response Rob. Unfortunately, the ODBC driver seems to be working fine. The ODBC trace I ran shows a successful connect and disconnect from the Microsoft SQL database. No ODBC errors are logged on the client or server. I have checked all my Windows system and application logs for errors - none are created in this situation. It is not a system error, it is only SilkTest that shuts down. I can start it up again immediately with no problems.

We have not been on Segue's maintenance program for some time, so unfortunately I cannot ask them to recommend an ODBC driver version for me. I always found the advice from their support department to be of the basic "update to the latest version, or reboot it and try again" variety.

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What version of silktest and driver were you using? I am concerned because our aut is about to have a new version with a SQLServer back end, so I need this to work.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not remember seeing SilkTest shutdown on its own without a Dr. Watson error for a long time.
    I vaguely recall that this might have happened with a really old version a long time ago.

Just because ODBC does not LOG an error, does not mean that you don't have a Silk <-> ODBC compatibility problem. My experience is the that this is an area of much flakyness and I encourage you to experiment with different drivers.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time I can remember seeing it do that was when I tried to do DB_FetchNext after executing a sql query containing an aggregate function (e.g. select count...) on an Oracle database. But that bug just disappeared the next time we upgraded.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for your responses. Unfortunately, after much testing and messing around, I have discovered that this is not limited to SilkTest. I can get several other apps to fail in this way, including Microsoft's own query analyzer. So this is more of a general system problem with SQL Server.

(sigh) On to another forum ....

------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer