SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window Tag/Identifier Problems

I am currently using '../[VBForm]WindowName' for the tags for windows that have multiple parents. This works fine while running code, but does not work when I am recording actions or identifiers (for whatever reason, SilkTest uses different algorithms for playing back code and recording identifiers/actions). I cannot use '~ActiveApp/' in the tags unfortunatly because this causes a Dr. Watson with the AUT. The problem that I am having is returning the identifier for the active window. I have tried using Desktop.GetActive(), but this returns a dynamic instantiation of the window name. Unfortunatly, {MainWin}.GetActive() does not return the correct window either, but returns the parent window instead. Any ideas out there? I am so close to finally having a workaround to the multi-parentage issue...

Thanks,
    Steve

------------------
    Steven P. Blunt
    Software Automation Technical Lead
    NASG Sales Force Productivity
    Steven P. Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Window Tag/Identifier Problems

Hey Everyone,
    One of you must have dealt with multi-parentage without using '~ActiveApp'. I would hate to have to restrict the testers to only using one route to test windows with multiple parents.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
    Steve

------------------
    Steven P. Blunt
    Steven P. Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry none of us answered you. It is a little difficult to understand your question since it is posed in completely theoretical terms.

I also once had a VB app that gave me a Dr.Watson every time I looked for a particular window with ~ActiveApp. There are a couple of threads on this problem from a couple of years ago. My problem disappeared when the developers cleaned up their VB heap management. I thought Segue had patched this issue. What version of Silk are you using ?

Usually, specifying the windows parent is completely optional. If I have any difficultly with it, like multiple parents, I don't use it.

If the window's caption changes -- you might be able to use a wildcard to recognise it in all of it's variants. You could also use a string varaible in the caption tag and update it when appropriate. If the window's caption is unpredictable, you might be able to use another type tag to recognize it, i.e. a location tag or a window number tag.

You usually need to experiment a little. VB recognition is a little quirky and slightly different from Java and Win API recognition.

If your windows have even a little complexity to them -- you will almost always need to modify the "recorded" window declarations.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,
    I have dealt with a similar problem before, not with multiple parent windows, but with a changing hierarchy of windows above the one in question. Try this:

First, remove the parent statement from your declaration. Then, set the window tag to a STRING variable. So your declaration will look like this:
    Then when you need to reference the window in code, set the MyTag variable on the previous line like this:
    I have not tried this exact syntax using [MainWin] but I think it will work. Make sure you use the caption of each window, not the window name, when you are writing the string for MyTag.

Hope this solves your problem.

Oh, and one more thing: make sure your declaration for that window is on level 1, or in other words, not nested under any other windows in your declaration file. Because you are setting the entire tag with a variable, the window should stand alone in your declaration file.
    ------------------
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems

[This message has been edited by pcfountain (edited 01-09-2002).]
    Paul Fountain
    QA Analyst/Engineer
    Sungard Insurance Systems