User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic Invocation

A Winrunner script can read a file, extract a String (a script name), and use it to dynamically invoke ANOTHER Winrunner script.
    Is there a way in SilkTest to do something similar?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dynamic Invocation

Yes. I use this all the time. You need to use the reference operator. Itlooks like this:
    @(VARNAME)(args)

This is used to call another function not a test case.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...not sure this is what I am looking for. I need to be able to run SilkTest script 'B' from SilkText script 'A' where 'A' has no knowledge about 'B' except that it reads its name from a text file.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tlvranas said would then work. You still need to read the VARNAME and the args from a file (or database), or get them somehow.

Also, in SilkTest, a testcase can not call another testcase. You can have a function drive the testcases, or a testcase drive functions.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U can use test plan where u sould be able to execute any testcase from testscript in nay order u want. let me know if u need more info sbudhava@yahoo.com

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...
    But would the Test Plan have to be hard coded with the names of the Test Cases / Scripts that are to be run, or can they be supplied by reading a text file of Test Cases / Scripts names?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grezdo:
    Hmmm...
    But would the Test Plan have to be hard coded with the names of the Test Cases / Scripts that are to be run, or can they be supplied by reading a text file of Test Cases / Scripts names?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Using this method, where testcase names are read from a file and run using the reference operator, you probably should not use a testplan file at all.

You should use a loop in a small main() program in a ".t" file that includes all of your testcase files with "use" statements.
    Example:

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your responses.

Rob, thanks for the code sample. However, the using "use" statements would require me to update the "main()" program everytime I have a new sub-testcase. I do not want to keep updating the "main()" program. So: I like the reading from file and the dynamic execution using the '@' now if only I could get rid of the "use" statements...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why the use statements are such a problem. If you follow RobKapteyn's suggestion, you will simply add new testcases to your known files. That way, whenever a new testcase was created you'd be done. The correct use statement for that file would be in there. Sure, you might have to add another use statement when you start a new file of testcases, but that should be a rare enough occurance as not to cause a headache.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grezdo:
    However, the using "use" statements would require me to update the "main()" program everytime I have a new sub-testcase. I do not want to keep updating the "main()" program. So: I like the reading from file and the dynamic execution using the '@' now if only I could get rid of the "use" statements...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if you don't like using the "use" statements, where are you planning to save your test scripts? (not in .doc or .pdf files, I hope)

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast