User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilKTest Installation Error !!!

Hi All,
    I installed silkmeter 2.3.1 and configured it to connect to the license server which is outside our network(LAN).Actually its on a another network whose firewall has been configured so that we can access it.
    Pinging the said license server machine with
    the ip address works fine.
    The installation was successful ,And i could see the installed licenses.

Now I installed SilkTest 5.5 sp1 to use the above Silkmeter.
    While starting up SilkTest i get the foll error:
    "Error code 5:Communication failure ..Check SILK_CONFIG_PATH etc .

I checked up SILK_CONFIG_PATH and it points to C:\Program Files\Segue\cfg.

I think the problem is because the license server is not on our network.
    I did add an entry in the hosts file with the
    ip addres and host name .But this too didnt work.
    I guess The SilkTest tool uses Broadcasting or something similar to communicate with the License server.
    This would work only if the machines are on the same LAN and not otherwise.

Please correct me if i am wrong !!

And suggestions please .
    I am stuck

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilKTest Installation Error !!!

Am I understanding this correctly: you installed SilkMeter and SilkTest on one machine, and installed SilkMeter on your license server, with the intention of checking out a temporary license from the server? (Otherwise, I can't figure out why you installed SilkMeter on both machines.)

If that's the case, when you installed SilkTest did you properly specify the name of the central license server, as opposed to the machine with SilkTest on it? Since you're using SilkMeter 2.3.1, you can verify and change this setting under Configure Manager Connection. Also make sure Use SilkMeter Manager is selected. You'll know your settings are correct if you see the icon enabled for checking out a mobile policy. You should now be able to check out a temporary license.

Unless there really is a networking problem involved here.

AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx agroves,
    It was basically a networking problem.
    Yup the configuration is the same as you said .
    I installed SilkMeter and SilkTest on one machine(client), and installed SilkMeter on the license server(seperate machine on a different network), with the intention of checking out a temporary license from the server.
    The reason for the complex configuration is we have a different branch i.e (differnet network) of our company which had bought SilkTest Licenses.We wanted to use these licenses from our network.The licenses were installed on a machine (license server) which was on our branch's network.

For this Configuration to work ,There has to be handshaking between
    both the client and the server i.e the server should be able to connect to the client and vice versa.

In my case the problem was ,that the server machine did not have the ip address of the client machine
    in its hosts file .
    Bcoz of which the license server machine could not connect to the client machine but the other way around was
    happening.

I added a entry of the client machine in the hosts file of the License server machine .And Lo it Worked.

These are steps we had to do:
    1)Put all the client machines ,And the License server machine outside the firewall .So that they can interact with each other.Basically the client should be able to ping the license server machine and vice versa.
    2)Make entries in the hosts file at both ends.

Hope you find this useful.

Thanks,
    Sandeep

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that was helpful! Thank you.

------------------