User Tag List

Thread: HTTP Headers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTTP Headers

Anybody have any experience writing HTTP headers with Silktest? I have been asked to investigate the possibility of this, and here was the first place I could think of.

I'm not too familiar with this, but apparently what we will need to do is append a parameter on the end of an existing (or known) HTTP header, then send it out, with some HTML or some such code. I have a pretty good knowledge of the "wininet.dll" functions, so if I need to use those or any other Windows .dll I could do that.

Thanks!

Andrew

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HTTP Headers

If you know wininet.dll. You don't even need silk to do what you want to do. What do you want to do exactly?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're testing different web servers in relation to a file transfer service we're developing. Previously we used Apache, which supports range headers to allow partial-file downloading support (this was never tested, just known before hand and assumed). Now we want to try moving to Resin, a web server I know nothing about, but we need to verify that it supports range headers.

So the idea is, I want to be able to pass a file transfer request to the web server, and specify a range of bytes in the HTTP header. I will then verify that only that many bytes is transferred.

That's basically what I'm trying to accomplish.

Andrew

------------------

Ian
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew,

You can achieve what you want with OpenSTA at http://www.opensta.org OpenSTA allows you to create your own http headers with all conditions. OpenSTA is FREE if you want to try it.

Regards

Ian

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can this tool do synchronized load testing. Meaning doing x request/second. Usually load testing software allows only random request scheme which is very hard to interpret the result, and bring the system under heavy load cause you can't keep track of what is really happening. If you do it the synchronized way you are guaranteed(not always but close) to have x request/second, so you have something to measure accurately.

------------------

Ian
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GodKnows,

Short answer is YES it can handle a steady x requests per second.

OpenSTA allows you to create Virtual Users which perform a set of http requests. You then execute as many of these Virtual Users, or combinations of them, as your Client hardware (and server) can handle. An NT thread is created for each virtual user and this will then transate into x requests per second for y 'concurrent' users.

Regards

Ian

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian:

I got to try this as soon as possible. I first started using WebLoad, then realized how limited it was for synchronized load testing. I hope this is my savior

This is like a Christmas present!

------------------

Getting back to AndrewLance's original question -- about HTTP headers and SilkTest extensions.

There is an article in the September 2000 Segue Customer newsletter, titled: "How to Extend 4Test Using Win32 DLL's and How to Issue HTTP Requests from 4Test"
    by Rohit Gupta, Vice President of Product Strategy at Segue.

I think it explains your exact question.

BTW -- OpenSTA looks pretty cool too. Maybe we should start another thread for it ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NoGod:
    There is an article in the September 2000 Segue Customer newsletter, titled: "How to Extend 4Test Using Win32 DLL's and How to Issue HTTP Requests from 4Test"
    by Rohit Gupta, Vice President of Product Strategy at Segue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, cool, I'm headed that way right now! Thanks for the direction!

Andrew

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you knew wininet.dll well. If you are looking for basic information on how to operate it to request and receive stuff from an url. You should also check MSDN, and VB sites on this topic. Mostly VB because it will load and use wininet.dll the same way you do in Silk.

------------------