SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

returning strings with SendMessage

We've used SendMessage in the past with a dummy value for LPARAM. However, I would now like to be able to return a string value in LPARAM. I've seen examples of returning a LONG, and that seems straightforward, but I can't seem to get the string to work. I've tried to simplify this as much as possible. Would appreciate advice from those familiar with this.

SilkTest:
    C++ code:
    When running the Silk code, I first get a "as a string" messagebox. Then, I get the "DOH!" messagebox. Obviously, sRect also does not printed in SilkTest.
    Thanks for any help you can give!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: returning strings with SendMessage

If you put the keyword "out" infront of your argument in SendMessage, then you will be able to get a return value from arguments.

Ex:

[ ] LRESULT SendMessage (HWND hWnd, UINT uiMsg, WPARAM wParam, out LPARAM lParam) alias "SendMessageA"

Now lParam can actually get values. code not tested but it should work.

------------------
    Also it might be possible that some string under win32 can't be converted correctly to silk's string type.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 12-14-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe an LPARAM is a LONG. I don't think there's a way to cast it to a LPTSTR.

If you run your C++ in the debugger and check the value of LPTSTR string you should find that it could not be evaluated.

I'm interested to see if you can do this. Please post your results.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure whether you can access the memory of other process?

------------------