SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I run my own Java test program from .pln?

Hi,

I just started using the silk.

I have a Java program, which is my own testing tool just to verify data in DB.
    What I'm trying to do is to have my tool be inlcuded in a testplan (.pln) as a testcase so that silk can use it as a testcase without having a human tester manually executing it.

I know the silk can use object files but I don't know exactly how I can tell silk to do that. I tried to use SYS_Execute(sCmdLine, output) but I suppose this can only be used for operaitng system defined functions?

If anybody has done what I'm trying to do, please let me know.

------------------

Re: How do I run my own Java test program from .pln?

If you just started using SilkTest -- stay away from the .pln file. Throw out the first half of your SilkTest "User's Guide".

The ".pln" is a deliberately straight-jacketing format that is intended to force you into what some people think is "good" test design.

In my opinion, this straight-jacketing ultimately limits the range and usefulness of your testware. (Search the forum for past debates on this subject)

I would recommend that you start learning Silktest with ".t" and ".inc" files only.

From a ".t", you CAN call your Java test program with "invokeMethods()".

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for your reply and your adivce, NoGod.
    I checked the invokeMethods() function, and I was under the impression that silk can't call non-GUI (Window)related Java classes.
    So if I have my own class let's say 'MyTool.class', silk can't use it...?

Thank you,
    midei

------------------

I have never actually tried to call non-GUI Java classes with Silk. It is something I have been meaning to try someday -- when I get the time. I would be very interested in a report of your success.

If your Java code has no GUI, I think that you want to use "QapJava class" with "InvokeJava" for your interface, rather than "invokeMethods" -- which would automatically look for a GUI object to associate your methods with.

You might be able to use "invokeMethods" on an object that has no tag defined, but this would only be a design accident if it works.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've never done this type of testing yet, there is an url I've come across that may be some help to you.
    http://www.employees.org/~skaterat/silktest/java.html

Good luck,

rcranberry