User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Using silktest for a non-gui application

Yes,
    Silk script can parse the XML fairly easy and it has a nice collection of build in functions to work with any DB that you can connect with ODBC.
    For DB functions, check the Silk help. All of them start with DB_ characters

------------------
    -Lev Aks
    lev_aks@in-nyc.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search this forum to find out about DB. Use DB_tester as Search string.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like just using Perl or Java as your testing tool would be more productive.

I have not had much luck at getting SilkTest to parse XML documents. If you search the forums here, I have version 1.0 of my XMLParserClass for 4Test posted. It has some bugs however.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using silktest for a non-gui application

I'm looking to use a test tool to test a server side java application. I need a script that can place an XML string on a socket at a given interval. I also need to be able to query a DB. Will silktest work for something like this?
    thanks,
    lisa

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use SilkTest to test a non-GUI, java application with great success. SilkTest offers so much besides GUI manipulation - such as system level calls (SYS_Execute, etc.), file operation functions, date/time calls, List operations, etc. Silk's results file makes it easy to have formatted results output. We also use the recovery system to clean out the database between testcase calls.

Using SilkTest we've developed a Database class (wrapping Silk's DB functions) to query and insert records in Oracle and MSSQL databases. And we've written an XMLParser to manupulate XML files. There is practically no limit to what you can to with this tool. It's object oriented, so you can use classes to reuse and organize your logic, and it's got a very nice editor and debugger. There's enough work involved in developing a testframe and testcases - I would not want to develop the supporting tools as well - that's what SilkTest provides.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sri,
    I've never had the pleasure of working with BLOB data. If you plan to use Silk's database calls you'll need to provide a variable type that matches the data type of each column you're retrieving. In the case of BLOB, my guess is that you would use an ANYTYPE variable, or LIST OF ANYTYPE. Once retrieved, if you then want to convert the binary data into something meaningful, that's a harder problem. SilkTest has no native functions for that.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jim Griffiths
    do you have any code for extracting data from database for field "Content" and the datatype is BLOB.
    Thanks
    sri

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest uses ODBC for accessing the database (as most tools do). However, I don't think the ODBC drivers can support BLOBs. Even if they can, SilkTest will not have a way to deal with them.

If you really need to access a BLOB, you might need to write the code in some other language and then get it into SilkTest.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net