SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest support WinNT 4.0 sp5? Active Desktop?

Hi All,

One Segue SilkTest FAQ states:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you are using Windows95 or WindowsNT, remove the Active Desktop before installing and running SilkTest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Is it know wheter SilkTest will ever support Win95/NT with Active Desktop?

Also, does SilkTest yet support WinNT 4.0 SP5?

Thanks in advance,
    RyanM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest support WinNT 4.0 sp5? Active Desktop?

SilkTest 5.0.1 supports NT 4.0 sp5.

------------------
    Bret Pettichord
    Tivoli Systems
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell, the Active Desktop only really comes into play when trying to view html objects within IE4/5, either as a whole browser or when they're embedded in apps as ActiveX controls. You won't be able to see browserchild/html objects with the AD present, inactive or active status makes no difference.

I've been able to record, edit and run scripts for Netscape with the AD present but once I needed to test in IE, it had to go.

I haven't seen it create problems with other kinds of apps besides IE. There were many more general stability problems with ST2.1.x but ST5.0.1 coexists with the AD better.

Peter
    peterw@phaseforward.com
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ActiveDesktop has created a number of problems for me using QAP 4.x and I'm assuming I'd have seen the same problems in Silk as well.

Most notably is that ActiveDesktop appears to change the object class for menus generated in OS windows such as ControlPanel (I forget what they were recognized as). None of my previously working scripts would execute and ActiveDesktop forced me to use TypeKeys to interact with these menus which is less than desirable to me.

ActiveDesktop also "broke" SysMenu access across all applications due to the addition of icons preceeding the actual menu item captions (at least that's my theory). No more selecting "close" from the SysMenu because QAP couldn't find the caption. I was forced to use TypeKeys or indexes, again this was less than desirable to me.

Removal of ActiveDesktop also removed all of the problems mentioned above and doesn't seem to have caused any adverse affects on the Win98 and WinNT PCs I was testing on.