User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Classic 4Test vs Visual 4Test

I rank this akin to a religious debate. That is, there's no verifiable right answer, but everyone thinks that they're right.

I was a big proponent of Classic 4Test until I discovered that with Visual 4Test I could embed things under a comment so that I don't have to see them when scrolling through my code. Functions I know are right, stable window declarations, etc.

In short, I became a convert. Praise the code!

Anyway, pick one and stick with it. Converting back and forth can be very problematic.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic 4Test vs Visual 4Test

I am just curious what are the pros/cons of using one style over the other. What do most of you use in your scripting? Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used both and switched entirely to Visual 4Test style. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about all the brackets and extra notation. I also like the fact that the indentation is easily seen when looking through code.

The biggest con to this style comes with Source Safe. If you use the new style and Source Safe you need to make sure that you check your files in fully compressed or fully expanded. If you don't, then source safe will say identical lines have changed because of the +/- signs the new style creates in text files.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just to add to your curiousity...

Pros: (Visual 4Test)
    1. You need to comment a section of your .inc or .t file, say about 100 lines.
    You click on the first line of code then either hold and drag the mouse pointer all the way to the last line or hold the Shift key and click on the last line then either select the Outline/Comment Block menu item or right click and select Comment Block and boom --> your 100 lines of code are commented. Uncommenting is done in similar fashion. (from a former QA Partner instructor Dave, known as dcreed of course)

2. In color (you can customize the colors too), it is much easier to tell which are the Reserved Words, comments, etc.). You see that Red X on the line containing an error even without compiling it.

3. Latest documentation and example codes of SilkTest are mainly (maybe all) shown in the 4Test format.

Cons: (Visual 4Test)
    1. If you are into "Classics" as in: you drive Classic Cars, you watch Classic Sports, you hit tennis balls with a Classic Forehand grip, etc., you'll miss out on telling your friends that you edit text or codes using the Classic Editor (just tell them you have NotePad anyway)

2. Your fingers get less exercise. Instead of typing the double forward slash "//" for commenting lines or blocks of lines over and over, you get spoiled by using the 4Test shortcuts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 12-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 12-11-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I like Classic for is code inspections. I don't like the way Visual prints out hardcopies.

We copy our existing files to a new page, then convert them to Visual and print them out for reviews. That way we don't run into any problems converting back and forth. I personally think the editor should gracefully handle all conversions back and forth, but since I don't have to do it I'm not complaining too loudly ....

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody know if there is a problem writing code in Visual4Test and store the files in ClearCase? Someone mentioned a problem with SourceSafe, I wonder if the same problem exists with ClearCase.

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "problem" is the same irrespective of the CM tool you use.

Since Visual4Test uses the [+] and [-] "flags" to identify collapsed / expanded code blocks, if you don't ALWAYS collapse (or, alternatively, expand) your code prior to checkin, any CM tool will potentially identify a "changed" line where the only change is the collapse/expand state.

Que sera, sera ...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather prefer visual 4test as its easy to structure it

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please explain me the difference between Classic 4Test and Visual 4Test?

Thanks,

Prasad

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic 4test: all the scope are between curly brackets ie: if(m<n){print("yes")}

Visual 4test: everything is scoped nicely for you by indentation, and you can expand or compress any scope with the + and minus icon.

If you are still struggling about this, it's time to ask your bose for more work.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast