SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest with Delphi and custom components

The company I am working for has recently begun testing with the SilkTest v5.5 tool. We create both software and web applications related to the insurance industry. Our client/server (C/S) applications make use of a variety of Delphi controls, many of which I am unable to find mapping for.

Here is a list of some of the problems I am having :

1) Our C/S applications are bilingual, but Silktest doesn't "see" the captions/labels on the user forms. How can I properly test the translation functions of our software?

2) Silktest isn't recognising Frames on the user forms of the C/S application. If I try a simple class mapping, all controls contained within the frame are no longer visible.

3) Our C/S applications make wide use of a custom spreadsheet control. All results are displayed within this control. We also use a custom tabstrip control, which Silktest doesn't recognize. Is there any way to force recognition of a control, or to code the recognition of the control in SilkTest.

Also, I am still learning the Silktest software, so please be somewhat detailed in your replies.

Thanks,

Patrick Briand
    Compu-Quote Inc.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest with Delphi and custom components

Here are some notes that hopefully will help you even just a bit:

Virtually all of the objects can be class mapped to standard QAP controls.
    For instance:
    TButton -> PushButton
    TEdit -> TextField
    TDBEdit -> TextField
    TListBox -> ListBox
    TDBListBox -> ListBox

There are a few custom controls that don't respond to class mapping (such as TreeViews, Grids, and StaticText). However, keystrokes and mouse events can be used on them.

There are more but since you mentioned you are kind of just getting started with SilkTest, I better not throw them at you now.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a Delphi developer and don't play one on TV. But I have tested a couple of Delphi applications with SilkTest. Addressing your points/questions....

1. SilkTest doesn't see Delphi labels. I've never gotten a good answer as to why. It will see the captions of RadioButton, CheckBox and other objects that have an explicit caption assigned to them. StaticText objects hanging out near a TextField, no. So you can work with some of the captions that are visible.

2. Dunno what you're talking about with Frames unless you're referring to container objects? If so, class map those container objects to LookUnder, not Ignore. That might help.

3. Can't really help you on the grid/table/spreadsheet control without seeing it. You might be able to use primitives (TypeKeys and Click) to navigate, enter data, and retrieve data out of the control, but I'd have to see it to know.

As for your learning, seems that you've already learned quite a bit.

And as Gilbert said, there are more class mappings. For one Delphi application I've got 19 different class mappings in my option set.

Bon chance.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some silly reason, LookUnder isn't in the list in the ClassMap DialogBox. Just put it in there. Sorry, I forgot about that. If that doesn't help, you may want to try Ignore, which is in the PopupList.

Sometimes, right-clicking on a table has a copy item that puts the whole grid into the clipboard, which SilkTest can access easily. Usually each row is an item and the cells are tab-separated in the clipboard. Just a thought.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I spoke with the head of our devel. team, and it seems we might dump the contents of the spreadsheet control into a text file, which I can then parse though to validate the data. I still don't know what I will do to automate the validation of language translation in static text labels.

As for the frames, I did mean a control container. I couldn't find the mapping you referred to though. Would that be a Custom mapping?

Thanks,

Patrick Briand

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrick,

Here is a real lame-o response for you, but go for it anyway.

Look for some of the postings from GodKnows. ?He? has done extensive work with SilkTest and Delphi. You can't get forum users' email addresses from the profile any longer, but might be able to hook up and get some useful information.

------------------