SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest Plan with Manual tests.

I would strongly recommend looking into TestDirector (from Mercury). As far as Test Management goes, the tool makes sense. You can launch your automated SilkTest scripts from it and have the results show up within TestDirector right alongside your manual tests--and it makes it easy to distinguish between automated and manual tests. (The SilkTest equivalent that you're using is weak.)

As for your second question, you may want to try "tricking" Silk into running your manual tests--it only believes that it's running these guys, so bear with me here.

First, you create a winclass "ManualTestcase".

You give this class some simple properties like Executed (boolean), DateExecuted (date), ExecutedBy (string), Status (string = passed, failed, incomplete). You would also want properties that correlate the manual test documentation with the phony automated test (the instance of ManualTestcase).

Now, you give this winclass a function to call Launch(). All it does is take a look at the properties and output the information into the results respository using print and log functions. If the status property has "passed", the ManualTestcase passes--if it has "failed", you raise an error so that it shows up as failing in the test report.

In your .inc file, create an instance of ManualTestcase for each manual test case in your .pln file.

If you are using a main() function to drive your tests, call the Launch() function for each instance of ManualTestcase.

If you are using instances of the testcase class instead, you will do more or less the same thing within each corresponding testcase (though you probably will need a different set of code in the Launch() function of ManualTestcase.

I hope this makes sense. If not, feel free to shoot me an email.

------------------
    jrae@intellech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats an option, but an expensive one. We are looking to put basically everything into results file, no matter if it ran or not. This also includes sending the data to a *.rex file.

We also would rather not create a script for each of the manual tests that we have.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest Plan with Manual tests.

I would love to hear any suggestions on how to manage detailed manual tests with automated tests. We have a test plan in Silk Test with Automated scripts and we still have those few manual tests. In the SilkTest Plan file I know that you can add manual tests (testcase: manual) however they all need that manual keywode. My first question is how can we name the testcase: manual to a name more meaningful?

Next question is along the same line. I have the .RES file exporting to a .REX file and I'm parsing the .REX file with Perl to output to a web page. All of my manual tests aren't showing as being RUN at all. Even when I say that this MANUAL test passes or Fail the .RES file still shows that manual test as NOT RUN (kind of greyed out). So, when I export this .RES file to a .REX file they don't appear at all as pass or fail or however I mark it. Am I doing something wrong.....This would be a big help. Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A less expensive option is to look at SilkPlan (T-Plan). It costs less than TestDirector and handles test results for SilkTest and manual tests. This is a true upgrade path to move beyond the basic planning facility that SilkOrganizer offers. It is getting good reviews and I find it easy to use.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com