User Tag List

Thread: SilkPlan 4.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkPlan 4.1

I noticed Segue offers a tool called SilkPlan (version 4.1). Had anyone used this tool before? is it any good?

I could not find any Forum on BetaSoft nor reference on Segue's site regarding previous versions

Like always, any help is greatly appreciated

Steve
    Steve Bertun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: SilkPlan 4.1

Steve - I have not used the tool personally but I did not want your post to go totally unanswered.

I did talk to one person who is actually using it - or, rather, works somewhere that has the product but does not actively use it. Her words to me are that it is kind of "clunky." She also tells me that Segue does not offer great support for the tool but she made it clear that she was only hearing that from the group who uses it most of the time - which is not her group.

However, from what I can gather the open API model of the tool is actually quite good. It is similar to the API model that Mercury did with TestDirector from what I can gather.

Sorry this is not much help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

I looked at Segue support site and could not find any reference to previous versions of SilkPlan.

Is this new?
    Did the develop it or OEMing it?

Thanks
    Steve Bertun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveBertun:
    I looked at Segue support site and could not find any reference to previous versions of SilkPlan.

Is this new?
    Did the develop it or OEMing it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not entirely sure. I think it is an in-house effort as it currently stands although the base product stems from their partnership with T-Plan which happened in September. There are no previous versions, however, at least within Segue. I think they just made the move right to 4.x because they wanted to match the versions of some of the other products. But, again, the basis of this came from T-Plan.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkPlan is being OEM'd from T-Plan. It is the top-ranked test management tool (by Ovum) and has gotten rave reviews from T-Plan users. It is at 4.1 v. because that is the version that T-Plan is at. Hope that helps provide some clarifications for you!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting an evaluation copy next week. I can let you know in a few weeks what we think of it.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you haven't already evaluated it or are still in the process of evaluating, attached are my findings. I'm not recommending the product for our organization as it doesn't fit our needs and it falls short of the competition. If you have evaluated, i would appreciate seeing your comments as well.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkPlan is an OEM'd version of the T-Plan product. The major (only?) real differences are that Silk Plan uses Segue's Silk Meter licencing tool and does not include a defect tracking module (Segue already have a product for that).

I have had a brief look at T-Plan and think that it has some good features but feels as if it is still being 'packagised' (it has the feel of a software solution that is not totally stable)

Having said that, it has been extremely sucessfull here in the UK and I reckon that it will only a matter of time before it is really excellent. It is certainly a product with a strong foundation but with a few niggles left to iron out.

------------------
    If you fall off a cliff you might as well try to fly - you've got nothing to loose.
    If you fall off a cliff you might as well try to fly - you've got nothing to loose.