SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebooting machines in a script

In the middile of my script i have to reboot and start again my script after the reboot is done.
    any ideas how to monitor where i was before the reboot so i can start the script after the reboot but knowing where i was

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rebooting machines in a script

There are several things that need to be done in order to have the system reboot and be able to continue with the script.

(I will assume that you are running in host target mode.)

1) The target system will need to have an automatic network login

2) The agent will need to be started on bootup (place an entry in the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run add a string and enter the full path to the agent.exe for example c:\progra~1\segue\silktest\agent.exe)

Test the target system to verify the system will automaticly login and the agent will startup.

3)On the host system, set the agent options to use the local system and TCP/IP(do not have it connect directly to the target)

4) Your script will need to make the connection to the test system (look up Connect() and SetMachine() functions)

5) You will need a process that will reboot the target system (must be able to set a time delay for the reboot, and do a forced reboot)

6) The script on your host system should make the connection to the target, do the process you need, call the program to reboot the system, disconenct from the target system (must disconnect before the system is rebooted or you will receive an error)

7) Put a sleep in your code for a few seconds

8) Have your script attempt to conenct to the target system (use do except to trap for errors) if a connection is made, you are ready to continue, if an error is received, sleep for a few seconds and try again.

Look at www.sysinternals.com for tools (PSTools Suite) for tools to reboot a system with a delay (free). There are other tools that might help as well.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your trying to reboot the machine that is actually running the test, forget it. I won't say it can't be done, but it would be prohibitively difficult. The instructions provided by tlvranas assume you are usign a host machine and a target machine.

You may want to do a search on this topic, it's been covered before.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Segue Download section, there is a Remote Reboot using SilkTest script written by Amjad Alhait (owner of Betasoft). I have used it in the past and it works.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.qadownloads.com/General/

TweakUI

A must have set of tools for Windows. If you ever need to reboot a machine in which a network login is needed the network tool enables auto-login.

I have used it in my past company.

------------------