SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Explorer crashing when performing Exists() ?

Since I upgraded to SilkTest 5.5 SP1, I am getting crashes within Internet Explorer when performing a window.Exists() call (Click here to see images of the error). This doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, it is always when one browser closes, and the window.Exists() call is done on a remaining browser instance.

SilkTest records the following when the window.Exists() call is executed:
    *** Error: Internal error in agent - Read past end of buffer

This is then followed by:
    *** Error: Application is not responding

The browser at this point is locked up, until the error dialog is dismissed. The problem is, since the browser is locked up, so is SilkTest. If I manually dismiss the dialog, then SilkTest comes back to life and continues testing.

I am wondering two things:
    1. <LI>Has anyone else encountered this problem. If so, what are the characteristics that you see?
      <LI>Has anyone found any type of workaround for the issue? I have found that putting in sleeps just prior to the window.Exists() helps out some (not much).

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

[This message has been edited by davidgenrich (edited 11-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Internet Explorer crashing when performing Exists() ?

Sorry, the attachment is not included. I can't attach any more files. I guess 10 files are the limit, and I am at the limit.

Update: Error images can now be seen at http://members.home.net/kgb6019/ie_issue.htm

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

[This message has been edited by davidgenrich (edited 11-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you solved your own problem.

I've noticed this issue when navigating manually and I am very familiar with the app. I don't know if the circumstances are the same for you, but here is what I noticed:

When a browser app spawns a child browser window that contains references to the opener (the parent), if the parent is closed the child will crash. (I'm assuming it's because there are invalid pointers/references being held within the child.)

I can usually recreate this by closing a parent window before the child has been fully opened and rendered.

If your solution works, run with it, but this may be the reason for the problem.

------------------
    jrae@intellech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This issue was causing me a great deal of pain, since about 75% of the time, IE would crash when the second window would close.

I belive this was due to the data connection between the two windows.

However, the first browser window was just for loggin in. It wasn't really needed or used after the second browser window opened.

So, to get around the problem, I simply called Browser.CloseOthers() after the second browser window opened. This cleaned up the problem of IE crashing when the second window was closed.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net