SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest International: Anyone using this?

Is anyone currently using SilkTest International? If so, can you share how it's going? We are looking into the product, but would like to hear some real user feedback on it (not company propaganda).

I am also consired that SilkTest International is a diffrent installation than SilkTest. I was hoping it would just be an Extension so that I know what I am using is the same thing. With the seperate binaries, there is a high risk of STI having bugs that ST does not have. I noticed this morning that ST is on Service Pack 1, where as STI's binaries are still from 09/18/2001 with no hot fixes or Service Pack releases.

Thus,

SilkTest International != SilkTest + International Support

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest International: Anyone using this?

The fact that two code bases need to be maintained was a major concern for one of my clients--exactly for the lack of bug fixing syncronization noted above.

And the sales folks never got back on questions posed about when the code bases will be merged [if in fact that is a plan by Segue development].

So the client took a pass for the time being.

Looks like yet another bad Segue marketing decision strikes again.

Sigh...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The code bases will definitely be merged in a future release. We have had so much demand for double-byte support, that we introduced SilkTest International - initially - as a separate product.

Heidi Gilmore
    Segue

------------------

[This message has been edited by Heidi Gilmore (edited 11-27-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heidi,

So what is the general time frame to have this products merged into one code base? I know my company would like to get.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David,

According to Mike Ruggiero, SilkTest Development Manager, the two code bases will be merged within the first half of 2002 (probably sooner v.later in that timeframe, but we are going to be conservative in date projections since this is going out on a public forum).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as using it is concerned.....
    I've used this on a couple of projects so far and it has performed well. We took scripts that were developed using ST5.5, added declarations for Chinese and Japanese and the same scripts executed on these applications without any problems.

It was especially nice to be able to compare the actual characters being displayed to make sure that the back-end converters didn't substitute incorrect characters from process to process.

It is also nice that the interface and the language is still the same.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an eval copy a couple of days ago and here are my findings:

Running on NT 4.0 SP6a Japanese
    1. Suite (.s) files don't run
    2. Partner.exe crash's when I have code that is indented 5 tabs, hit enter at the end of the line, and then hit the tab key.
    3. Random characters are inserted every time I hit the enter key
    4. Some Ansi file types will force to do a Save As when trying to save or compile changes. This is random.
    5. Get errors while making .dll calls to our in house dll's. These are fine on Regular silktest.

Segue rep said most people use the Testplan feature to run tests and not many people use suite files. This may be, but it is still a basic piece of functionality that should have been tested. I have stopped evaluating as I cannot use this in it's current state.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did they say on the other issues? I don't use Suites, I use the Test Plan. However, the other problems seem to be major.

I am currently working on getting an upgrade license to STi, but it sounds like I really need to get an evaluation copy first.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just submitted the other ones this morning via e-mail to a local segue rep that i've been working with. I haven't heard back yet.

I would strongly recommend an eval copy before purchasing. It doesn't appear to me that a lot of testing went in to this prior to releasing to the public.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you give more details about the Partner crash? What kind of file did you edit? Did reinstall solve the problem?

I know the Save As issues, it is becuase Partner needs to save before compile.

As to DLL, I think the reason is your applicaiton is multi-byte based. If you call function with string parameters. partner sends out unicode string pointer, and interp the result as unicode string, which is multi-byte string in fact.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast