User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close windows & multitags

Hi,

In the application I am testing the same dialog is used multiple times with different captions. I have used multitags so I don't have to re-declare the dialog for each different caption. The top of the dialog declaration looks like this:

window DialogBox Edit
    multitag "Edit Organization"
    "Edit Process"
    "Edit Stores"

This approach had been working fine, I was able to manipulate all the controls in any instance of the dialog.

I've run in to a problem though with the recovery system. An instance of the dialog got left open on a test run and the recovery system was not able to close it. I have all the correct close keys and buttons defined in the agent options.

After playing around a bit I figured out that the recovery system is only able to close instances of the dialog that use the first of the tags in the multitag statement. If a window is left open that uses the second or third tag, Silk cannot close it.

Any ideas on how to get it so that Silk can close the dialog regardless of which tag is currently in use? Is this a known limitation of using multitags?

Thanks,
    Greg

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Close windows & multitags

Try using a wildcard "*".

window DialogBox Edit
    tag "Edit*"

Not sure if this will help, but it is worth a try...

Another option is to set up TestcaseExit and TestcaseEnter functions. You can find info on this on the Online Help.

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also try putting a pipe in a tag instead of using multitags

try:

window DialogBox Edit
    tag "Edit Organization|Edit Process|Edit Stores"

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ptucker,

That's an interesting solution. How does the pipe behave differently than the multitag?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJGray:

That's an interesting solution. How does the pipe behave differently than the multitag?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pipe is the old style multitag, works the same way.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJGray:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pipe is the old style multitag, works the same way.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never quite worked out whether multitags for particular window classes use AND or OR. This is something which apears to change between releases of SilkTest and classes. When problems arise in this area it also seems to depend on which direction the wind is blowing!

Anyway, Brian is right in the the pipe is an old style multitag but I do know that it DEFINATELY uses OR. The reason I suggested it is that I can think of a (small) number of occasions where SilkTest has lost sight of a window using multitags but where a pipe has worked.

I have also found that sometimes you need to play around with the order of declarations between the pipes.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Merit AT
    www.merit-at.com