SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unable to Connect to remote agent

Ok, here is the deal. I have a sever machine with 5.032 loaded and configured. I have the agent configured for TCP/IP and accepted the default port. I have all agent options unchecked(not that this should make a difference!) and I have the agent launched.

Now on a client pc, i have the same version of silk, ocnfigured the same. BTW both client server are running on win2k. I can set the name of the agent in my runtime options, but when I try to connect, I get a "socket connection refused" error. I can ping the server pc from the client and recieve a valid reply.

Another strange twist to this deal . . . I can connect from silk on the server to an agent running on the client (the reverse).

I have not checked, but I do believe that they are running on the same subnet. I have uninstalled/re-installed silk numerous times and have even wiped the machine (both with a ghost image and fresh)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Unable to Connect to remote agent

make sure that network is enabled in runtime options on the client machine. get to it through the main menu in Silktest, Options/Runtime...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew that someone would find something like that. Of course, I have that option set correctly. Thanks for the thought though. We are starting to see this on a few other machines. These are machines that we used to run automation on when they were NT server machines. Now they are win2k machines. I don't know why that should matter though. Any other ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have probably already tried this, but ....

I have heard of folks having problems related to the machine names when they try to connect. Are you sure that the machine name is correct? I can ping my machines by name (instead of IP address) from a command prompt. You can also try setting your Agent Name to '(none)' in your options/Runtime Options, then using the 'connect (sMachine)' command within the script.

Here is the previous post I was refering too - http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/002069.html
    ------------------
    Atlee

[This message has been edited by awhiteleather (edited 10-25-2001).]
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a list of the things that I check when we have this problem:

Ping the target by name
    Ping from the target to the host by name
    Make sure the target name starts with an alpha charter.
    keep the system name 10 charters or less

There is somthing with the names of the systems that have given us problems in the past.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dlindner,

A direction for you to head with this...

I've had this same problem and have narrowed it down to this:

It happens on machines in the lab which have been reimaged. This automated process involves pulling ghost images off a network share. We have pools of identical machines, so we have one image that will work for, say, 15 machines. The image has a machine name that is somewhat generic. Once the machine has reimaged itself, it kicks off a rename routine so that each machine can have a unique name on the network.

I can be connected to a machine remotely, have it run through this routine and then be unable to connect to it again. There appears to be something going on with the DNS in this reimaging process. We have not found the answer yet, but have narrowed it down to this series of events.

Is there anything similar going on on your end?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, let me start by answering a few questions. BTW, thanks for everyone's input. This type of forum is a great asset to our "geekdom!"

I have tried to connect using the machines IP address, and have also tried setting agent options to local and using the connect statement. Our pc naming schema seems to be ok (alpha char. to start and < 10 char)

DJGray,
    our ghost is used for multiple pc's, however not an automated process. We are more like tlvranas in that after ghosting, we will rename our pc's manually. Wierd thing is that some of the PC's that we have ghosted, work, others do not. Kind of why I ruled out the ghost as being part of the problem. That may have been premature though.

Lets add to the confussion, Now on these pc's that I cannot connect remotely on, I can run scripts locally. Weird behaviour when trying to set a Java client active. Icon in the taskbar that relates to that Java app will blink and blink and blink. As if to say ha ha! But if I click on the Icon, the app restores, silk takes over and chugs away. As long as you don't minimize again!!

Starting to get frustrated. Finding these other PC's that are acting this way makes this a bit more serious. I am in the trenches though!! I will keep everyone posted on any findings.

thanks again.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Weird behaviour when trying to set a Java client active. Icon in the taskbar that relates to that Java app will blink and blink and blink. As if to say ha ha! But if I click on the Icon, the app restores, silk takes over and chugs away. As long as you don't minimize again!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

does this only happen on win2k machines?sounds like you need to use the registry patch that silk provides. it allows silk to set your app as the active app in a timely manner. I don't have it handy. anyone?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJ,
    We also use Ghost to load our systems, but run them through the Ghost Console. When an image is restored, it sets the name of the new image back to the machine name. (It also generates a new SID for NT boxes.)

------------------