SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: setting up SilkTest 5.5 with SilkMeter -how to?

I am also apprehensive of the 5.5 upgrade.

Another post said that SilkPerformer users waste a significant amount of time fighting the same "SilkMeter" license server.

One of my concerns is hassles with "lost" licenses. I assume that when I run a test, SilkTest "checks out" a floating license from the server. If the machine crashes or is reset during the test, does the license server figure out that the license is no longer in use ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brent!

As to Rob's concern, I guess we will have to ask Segue. But I suspect, from using an embedded tool with what sounds like a similar license server, that you can either reaquire the license on the same PC after a re-boot, and the license is issued with a long timeout, like say 12 hours or something like that--in that case if the client does not contact the license server before the timeout to reaquire the license expires. But I am only guessing.

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob has an interesting point -- and there is one note related to it in the docs:

If you explicitly check out a license (mobile usage) it is checked out until the expiration date. Say you do a 14-day checkout to your laptop and you completely hose your laptop. The license you checked out will not be available again until the 14-day period expires. Now, I'm sure there *must* be an administrative way around this, but not one that they (Segue) publicize.

To Rob's point -- certainly the SilkTest session is "using" the license. But it isn't really checked out in the same sense. Most license servers have a "keep alive" timer that says if they don't hear from the client in X secs/mins/hrs/whatever, they will assume the license is no longer in use. I have not seen any params to control this nor any mention in the docs.

Now, if the license server itself gets messed up, the policy file is just a text file. Assuming you kept it in a safe place, you could easily (?) rebuild the server machine and re-import the policy file and "start over".

Bottom line -- this could be a problem area, and it could all just work fine. One would probably want to "play" with it a bit and see what happens.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

setting up SilkTest 5.5 with SilkMeter -how to?

Would someone describe how the most recent versions of the SilkTest 5.5 and its license server is setup and used in the following scenerios:

1. Onsite users with PCs running SilkTest connected on the company network with a PC running the license server.

2. An offsite user using a laptop PC running SilkTest NOT connected to the company network [but lets assume they can briefly connect to the network to interact with the license server if needed].

3. Does the SilkMeter license server manage "floating" licenses, such that any PC can be installed with SilkTest, but only X number of PCs can be executing SilkTest at any point in realtime [where X is the number of purchased floating licenses]?

4. How much time should be allocated to learning how to correctly install the SilkMeter license server and get it working for the first time?

5. Apparently Segue needs to know information about the PCs running the software; is this limited to just the PC running the license server, or does this also include any PC which will run SilkTest?

6. How time consuming is it to work with Segue to change the license server from one PC to another?

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

------------------

[This message has been edited by Terry Horwath (edited 10-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Terry,

I've gotten some limited experience with this thus far, but can report reasonably good results. So, here goes:

1) I have a "central" license server (SilkMeter 2.3) installed, which has ALL of the licenses -- running on one of our IT managed app servers. The individual boxes have only SilkTest installed -- and they "point" to the central server for licenses. The exception is the mobil users -- see the next item.

2) We have several offsite (laptop) users which then have SilkMeter 2.3 (has to be the same version of SilkMeter) installed - along with SilkTest 5.5. Note that SilkMeter isn't actually "enabled" with a valid policy -- it's just installed. The SilkTest installation on these machines "points" to the locally installed SilkMeter -- even though it hasn't any licenses to run. These users VPN to our network briefly and "checkout" a license (actually 2 licenses - one each for Agent & SilkTest). This decrements the number of available licenses for use "inside" the company until the mobile licenses either expire or are checked in. With this checked-out license, SilkTest now runs.

3) Yes. At least in theory <grin>. I'll assume Segue validated that part. All I know for sure is that I can use X successfully. I haven't tried X+1 ... maybe I should <double grin>

4) 5 minutes. Yeah, seriously. OK, maybe 10. You need to run the key generator FIRST and get your policy file from Segue. You can do this all online, assuming you don't have too weird of a contract. Worst case, you e-mail their license folks and they send you the policy file within a few minutes. Then, you run the SilkMeter install and import the policy. It just worked for us. First time. Now, a caveat, our own product is licensed, so we've been down the license manager / server install and setup path a few times. But this really did work smoothly!

5) Only the one running the license server. They need the key. The key is based (according to their docs) on the MAC address of the primary network card in the box. Thus, you can do just about anything to that box as long as you keep the same primary network adapter and it won't "hurt" the license server.

6) Only a bit painful. They ask for the standard "certification" that you're removed the other license server from action so you're not stealing extra licenses. Other than that, it was an e-mail to their support folks with the new machine's key info and we were up and running. (FYI - I set up a test environment first on a single machine, validated that it all worked the way I wanted, then moved it to the corp machine with all the licenses -- so I've been down this path).

Hope that helps. Honest, it wasn't nearly as painful as I expected. I've done a lot of painful things with license servers, but this wasn't one of them. Now, if they could just get subsequent releases of SilkTest to stop regressing ...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Brent Rolland (edited 10-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know the full impacts of this, but I killed one of my machines via the power button while it had a license checked out. It's been a couple of hours and SilkMeter still shows that license in use. I don't have the environment to do it, but I would really like to know what SilkMeter does if I tried to add a machine when no other licenses were available. I don't think it would, but it should check the validity of the current connections prior to rejecting a request for another license.

I also don't know how to get it to release the invalid license. There is no 'delete user' function on SilkMeter.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... big caveat ... I haven't tried this, and recommend that it only be done by trained professionals on a closed course ... <grin>

I suspect, given what I know about *some* license servers, that if you restart the license server it will "forget" about the checked-out/in-use license(s).

I haven't found one (yet) that stores that information persistently (e.g. on disk). Thus, if you get into a state where you have a bunch of bogus checkouts, you could probably restart SilkMeter and be back at square one.

Now, there are obvious implications to this ... so maybe Segue has implemented some persistence mechanism.

dunno ... just a thought ...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update for those following this thread down the road ...

My mobile users somehow managed to completely confuse the license server and all the available licenses showed up as "checked out". The problem is, they only appeared checked out on the server. The mobile machines said that there WEREN'T any checkouts.

Thus, nobody could run SilkTest. Nobody could check in their license files, as they didn't have any checkouts. Nobody could check out new licenses as there weren't any available.

So, I tried my previous suggestion of shutting down the license server. Guess what!? I just found a license server that maintains persistence on the license status. You guessed it. Segue is tracking these hummers somewhere. Probably in the registry. I didn't go look for them, so don't know.

Segue Support did, however, arrange to get me a set of time-limited licenses to replace my "real" ones until the checkouts all expire and the "real" ones are once again available.

They also noted that this had only happened one other time so far, and no one could track down why.

So, I'd add another caveat to using this checkout / mobile license feature. Don't get carried away! If you checkout a license and it doesn't work, don't keep checking them out until they're all used up! Find the problem and fix it.

If you do get messed up, Segue appears to be very flexible at getting you back on the road again quickly.

... aaahhh ... what fun ...

------------------