SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GetProgramDir() returning a UNC path

SilkTest's GetProgramDir() function is returning a UNC style path: i.e. \\MachineName\foldername
    when the script is located in a mapped drive.

Example: If I open & run a script from C:\Temp\Auto, a GetProgramDir() call returns "C:\Temp\Auto" as expected.

However, if drive "Q" is mapped to C:\Temp and I open & run the script from Q:\Auto, GetProgramDir() returns
    "\\MachineName\Auto".

The problem is, this breaks things like:
    SYS_SetDir( GetProgramDir() )
    or
    SYS_Execute( GetProgramDir()+ "\abc.bat" )

Does anyone know:
    1) Is this a SilkTest bug? (seems so to me)
    2) Is this a feature-and I just don't get it?

It's a convention for our users to run automation from a mapped drive, so this is a real problem for us.

I appreciate all input from the Silk swamies!
    Thanks
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: GetProgramDir() returning a UNC path

Jim,

I've never see UNC paths cause a problem. We tend to prefer them to guarantee script portability. What you have mapped as drive W: might be drive G: for me and if the script uses a mapped drive letter that will be a problem.

Now, it may be something specific to SYS_ Execute(). I may need to play with that to be certain...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: GetProgramDir() returning a UNC path

DJGray,
    First of all, thanks for your response.

It's important for our users to be able to run the scripts from any folder, including a a remote file server via a mapped drive. As you say, the drive letter can vary from one user to another. That's OK! All I need to determine (dynamically) is where the script is currently running. If GetProgramDir returned a consistant path format, we would be good to go.
    --------------------------------------
    Here's some more info on SYS_Execute and UNC paths.

Apparently SYS_Execute can not handle a UNC path that has more than one directory level. For example:
    This works:
    SYS_Execute("\\MyComputer\sqa\abc.bat")
    This fails:
    SYS_Execute("\\MyComputer\sqa\Auto\abc.bat")

Here's the output from the above SYS_Execute.
    CMD.EXE was started with
    '\\MyComputer\sqa\Auto' as the current directory path. UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.
    -------------------------------------

Also, the DOS 'CD' command (change directory) can not handle UNC paths.
    We use Silk to generate and run bat files on the fly, and we use the output of GetProgramDir as the path to 'CD' to.

- Jim

------------------