User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is SilkTest with Lotus application

Hello,

I just wanted to know how is SilkTest with Lotus/Domino application. This is web base and I know that Silktest is used to automate web application. Could anyone give me some advise on silk?

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How is SilkTest with Lotus application

Hi Julie,

I guess I'm willing to come out of the closet as the project lead of the SilkTest automation development team at (formerly Iris Associates, now part of IBM), the makers of Lotus Notes/Domino. We write a lot of (Notes, SilkTest, Extension Kit) code so that we can enable quality engineers within our company to write scripting to test the product's various GUIs (Web and client/server). Unfortunately, we cannot make our strategies available outside of Iris because we would have to release Notes source code to do so. (There are a whole bunch of other reasons why we can't do it, but that first reason alone makes the others moot.) What I can do is suggest some general strategies that you can try. I'll focus on client, not Web, since it sounds like that's what you're concerned with. (If I'm wrong and you're trying to test via a Web browser, then there is no special Notes/Domino-specific information that you need, anyway -- just test it the same way you'd test any HTML or Java.)

1. Keyboard accessibility (for the visually impaired) is the greatest thing to happen to automation since sliced bread. The Notes R5 Client included a lot of keyboard accelerators that help you navigate, so I'd suggest making TypeKeys() your friend. The Rnext client (and a lot of Designer and Administrator) will be completely keyboard accessible.

2. Your other friend is LotusScript. You can trigger the LotusScript via your SilkTest scripting, by having your SilkTest script do a menu pick or click on an action bar button or whatever.
    Here's an example: create an agent that can be invoked through a menu pick, and define it as follows:
    Sub Initialize
    sFieldName$ = Inputbox$("Name of field", "FieldName")
    Dim ws As New NotesUIWorkspace
    Dim udoc As NotesUIDocument
    Set udoc = ws.CurrentDocument
    sFieldValue$ = udoc.FieldGetText( sFieldName$)
    Messagebox sFieldValue$,0,"FieldValue"
    End Sub
    Now from within your 4Test scripting, do the following:
    [ ] [menuitem].Pick ()
    [ ] [inputbox].TypeKeys ("<fieldname>")
    [ ] [inputbox].Accept ()
    [ ] sReturn = [messagebox static text field].GetText ()
    [ ] [messagebox].Accept ()
    You can implement all kinds of routines like this, to count the number of documents in a view, to navigate to a field with a particular name, so set a field to a particular value, and on and on.

3. Stay away from trying to test via infobox controls. You're dead in the water there -- unless of course you can use TypeKeys() to get you to where you want to be.

4. As always, try to promote the concept of design for testability. I am guessing that what you are really testing are Notes applications, rather than Notes itself. So your app developers should be designing *all* their template controls to be tabbable, for instance.

5. On really rare occasions (and I mean really rare) you might find it useful to pass some windows messaging (use msw32.inc or one of those files), but don't waste your time with class mapping because our control classes are not written so that they will map to any Windows standard API class.

6. Along with TypeKeys(), use the system clipboard. In SilkTest, if you can't do a GetText, you can highlight your text, type ctrl-c to copy it to the clipboard, then get text from the clipboard.

7. And if you're a really good coder and have some patience, you can probably call into the Notes C API to get information about, navigate through, and manipulate views and fields. See www.notes.net for information about the C API. You'll need to write a front-end on this, so I'd suggest buying the SilkTest Extension Kit and writing what Segue calls an "external" DLL that can call into the C API. We have no need to do this ourselves since we have Notes source code access anyway, but I see no reason why this could not be made to work -- by a really good coder.

Good luck!
    AG

------------------

[This message has been edited by agroves (edited 10-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by agroves (edited 10-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by agroves (edited 12-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by agroves (edited 12-12-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How is SilkTest with Lotus application

Hello,

Can you please provide me with more info about testing lotus notes applications using Silktest in combination with lotusscript? I just need a reference to web page or documents where to learn more about combining silktest and lotusscript to automate testing on lotus notes.

thanks and regards,
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner