User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Web Pages within Dialog Box, not the Browser

George,

Anyway that we could see your application under test to help you solve this? Even a test peice of it that isn't the real code, as long as it exbits the same problem.

I have delt with issues where the browser page was seen as a DialogBox, but I am not sure that your problem is the same as mine was.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Pages within Dialog Box, not the Browser

The application that I am automating is within a dialog box, NOT within the browser (IE5.5). Within the Dialog Box all Silk sees is HtmlText. HtmlTextBoxes, HtmlLinks, HtmlTables, etc... are invisible.

If I open the URL directly within the Browser, Silk recognizes all of the Objects perfectly. However the users are going to operate within the Dialog Box, so this isn't a option.

Is there some way to change the Object Recognition of the Dialog Box to a Browser?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason you are seeing your panel as a dialogbox instead of a browserchild is because the Location/Address bar at the top and the status bar at the bottom of the web page are hidden. (According to the SilkTest doc, these are required to be displayed for browser testing)
    In our app, we asked the developers to unhide these 2 for testing purposes only. There were no changes made to the app.
    That was our only solution.
    Win 98, SilkTest 5.0.3.2
    we are also using Win2K & SilkTest 5.5 HF4

------------------

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>janek might have a point: the Dialog Box contains a Status Bar but no location bar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The dialog box in my app does not have a status bar or a location/address bar visible, yet Silk still recognizes all html within the dialog box window.

However, all of our testing is with Netscape and IE4 and IE5 on Win9x and WinME. We are not testing with IE5.5 yet.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer

[This message has been edited by tonymro (edited 10-18-2001).]
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talked with development and removed the status bar from the Dialog Box and everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

george_cerny@hotmail.com

------------------

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently completed the test automation for one of our new hardware products that has a browser based interface but displays the HTML in a separate dialogbox. When the desktop shortcut for the device is opened, the default web browser is launched, and displays a "launch" page. Then a separate window (dialogbox) opens displaying the UI and controls for interacting with the device.

Using Silk 5.0.3.2, we are able to interact with and validate the HTML UI elements within the dialogbox. Below is a snippet of code that depicts the declarations for the "launch" page that appears within the web browser, the dialogbox (note it's tag), and one of the html pages that is displayed within the dialogbox (note that it's parent is the dialogbox).

I hope that this helps...

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The code that tonymro presented is exactly how I have the Dialog Box and the BrowserChild within the Dialog Box declared. The problem is Silk's object recognition, within the BrowerChild, only sees HtmlText.

janek might have a point: the Dialog Box contains a Status Bar but no location bar.

A weird note: If another dialog box is launched from the Problem Dialog Box, there is no status bar and no location bar, BUT the Object Recognition works fine! :-(

------------------