SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic Links, How To???

Well, I dug through the search engine and the best I could come up with is this. http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/001795.html
    I have a similar problem. I have a help desk sort of web site that, depending on the query string input, returns a dynamic list of resulting links. I need to be able to click on a random (any) link from the dynamically generated list. The links are in an HTMLTable. I then need to be able to verify that the page corresponding to the dynamic link comes up.

On another note, the application sidebar menu uses a bold link to show which menu choice is currently active. Is there a way to determine whether a link is highlighted (bold) or if it's a <TH> tag (vs a <TD> tag)?

I'm not a complete newbie to SilkTest. I've used it with some success to automate a VAC++ application suite but this is my first venture into Web Testing. I generally just record the declarations and code the rest. I have yet to work via "record and playback".

Any help appreciated...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dynamic Links, How To???

Well, what I've come up with is a workaround (as usual) to try and deal with a dynamic link list. My list is numbered and the Recorder SEEMS TO have the ability to record a Prior Text multitag. From the recording of the declarations that I have been playing with, capturing the Prior Text would probably work for me, but I have yet to make this work sufficiently.
    This seems like it would be a common problem.
    Has anyone had success with using Prior Text multitags or any other method of dealing with a dynamic and numbered list of links (that reside in a table, that resides in a frame)????

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jake,

I included some sample code on how you can get the links from your table, click on a random one, and figure out which ones are bold.

The code is just a sample, you'll need to modify it some for your use.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response, David. Looking through my code and your code, I realized a few things. (Keep in mind that I am new to Web Testing with Silk.)
    My declarations do not show ANY tables in the frameset that I am trying to work in. What I actually have is nested tables that reside in nested frames. (3 levels of frames and 2 levels of tables.) What has been recorded is a bunch of HTML text, images and links that are not in any way grouped into a table. Any idea why that would happen?
    Then I have the other problem of not being able to scroll in nested frames. Another common SilkTest inadequacy, from what I've read.
    So, for the sake of expedience, I think I'll just hit the first link and forego the desired random capability of my code. Not an ideal solution but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. For the tables not being seen, you can use the BoarderlessTable option, setting it to a higher value (0.9?). You will then see the hidden tables. Alternetively, just forgo the table, the code attachment above will find the links on the page. You could filter out links you don't want through code. Everything else will still work.

2. For nested frames, if you can't scroll, try doing something like myFrameWindow.TypeKeys("<PgDn>") to move the page down.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried upping the Borderless Table value and it blew up the rest of my existing code. I'm guessing to use that option I'd have to set it up then rerecord all of my declarations.
    I can make your code work if I comment out the IsBold section. It doesn't seem to like IsBold.
    It will return all of the links if I throw a Print() into the loop, so I know it's working, but when I get to the Click() it is still returning a "Mouse Coordinates ... off screen" error.
    I've tried TypeKeys() and ScrollIntoView() but nothing seems to work.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jake,
    Try as MyFrameWindow.TypeKeys Ctrl-End and
    Ctrl-Home in TypeKeys ().From Option/Agent/Verification, uncheck box Verify that coordinates passed. Hope it works.
    Thank you
    Pal

------------------

[This message has been edited by PalS (edited 10-16-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. No Go.
    I've tried the Agent/Verification options. I've tried ScrollIntoView(). I've tried TypeKeys() with Ctrl-End, "", Tab and a few others.
    What I have is a help desk sort of application. At the bottom of a 3rd level HTML frameset page is a HtmlRadioList where you select 1 of 4 options, a text field where you enter comments and a continue button.
    Using SetFocus(), which only works for text fields, does move the screen for me but then I still cannot select one of the radio buttons, even though it is now plainly visible on the screen. After I have focus set to the text field, a TypeKeys(Tab) should move focus from that text field to the continue button but it does not.

------------------