SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is using SilkTest 5.5 and why?

I am considering updating to version 5.5 and have doubts as to the usefulness of the update.

Can I get a show of hands of who is using SilkTest Version 5.5 and who has decided to stay with 5.0.3.2 or older. If you could include the reasons for your decision that would be very beneficial.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Who is using SilkTest 5.5 and why?

So far, I've found only one "technical" reason for the upgrade -- the browser support *seems to be* more stable / reliable / robust (take your pick).

In all fairness, I didn't use 5.0.3.x much for browser testing, but the limited amount that I did do, I wasn't thrilled with. The 5.5 HF3 release at least tries to support the DOM on both NSCP and IE -- which makes it more likely to be useful down the road.

Now, from a strictly fiscal point of view, I have a small team of automation engineers -- and a large lab (that is, lots o' boxes). It was getting expensive to have to pay maintenance on a bunch of copies of the product that were essentially "idle" most of the time. With the new license scheme, I only need to have N licenses (where N < # engineers + # machines) as there are usually only a handful of copies in use at any given time. More to the point, we code during the day and run tests at night -- thus can get by with roughly half the licenses we used to have.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to be a bit faster with java applications

DOM recognition is more stable than 5.032

VO extension for IE has some fixes to it.

Can recognize the icons in the icon tray (by the clock) in Win2K. (Some people have been waiting for this.)

DOM recognition for Netscape 6

I like using the results repository which was changed from the previous version.

SilkMeter licensing makes floating licenses easier to manage.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am staying with 5.0.3.2. I am not aware of any improvement in Java support. The new license server looms over me like a disaster waiting to happen. Some of our tests run on machines with special network connections using old financial industry protocols. Other tests simulate network failures by changing the computer's IP address. How can we use a network-connected license server with these? I am really ****ed that Segue has decided to unilaterally "change the rules" like they have. But then again -- I haven't actually dared to try 5.5 yet.

Maybe Segue wants to donate a computer and some people to help me setup a license server ? SilkTest is such a good product -- it is a real shame to see it repeatedly crippled by Segue's boneheaded marketing decisions.
    ------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 10-10-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

Is it possible that the system that needs to simulate the network failure could have a "checked out" license?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since they added "check out" capability, I have considered that possibility. I just don't have time to learn this new stuff and figure it out.
    In a previous post someone estimated that even experienced people waste 5% of their time fighting the license server. We have a bunch of newbies coming online soon -- how much time will they waste with it ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob -- It may be that one day you will find your back against a wall and and you'll have to upgrade. If so, you might try obtaining a single-user policy file from Segue, and installing SilkTest and SilkMeter on the same machine, then importing that policy file there. If you ever trash the machine, you'll have to go through some accounting rigamarole with Segue, but in your case it's probably better than doing those temporary two-week checkouts from a license server. In fact, it'll be just like the good 'ol days, when you had no license server to deal with at all!
    AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using 5.5 for awhile with my Java apps. I was hoping for better Java support, but as Rob mentions, it wasn't there. For the most part I've been happy with the license server. It increased my flexibility and actually lowered my cost for new licenses. I don't have to buy a whole new seat now, I only have to by an extra license (the price is similar to a new agent as opposed to a new GUI/agent). Setting up the server wasn't a problem. I had typical initial setup problems (I blame this on poor documentation, but it's really a combo of user/documentation), but overall it wasn't painful. The license scheme was a little confusing at first - mainly because it seems to match the old scheme but it really doesn't. With 5.5 you get licenses in pairs only. While the agent licenses appear to be separate, they really aren't. You get one GUI and one agent license. Once I got over this hurdle it went smooth.

I have had to move licenses from one network environment to another, and that is tedious, but easy. The paperwork you have to fill out, sign, and fax to Segue is a pain, but straight forward.

------------------
    Atlee
    Atlee