SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thread: UNIX SCRIPT

UNIX SCRIPT

Hello,
    in order to connect with data base server (which is on UNIX Server) , do I need to script in unix.
    If yes then will it work with SILK?
    Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: UNIX SCRIPT

I am guessing not, but I need more information. Is this an Oracle DB? Some other DB?

What you typically need to do is get the DB client software on your windows system. This places the driver for that DB on your system as well. You then make a System DSN that points to that database. SilkTest will connect to the database through the DSN (ODBC) connection.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can script using SilkTest for unix, but is all that you need to do is grab some info from a database that happend to live on unix, just set up an ODBC connection to the database and query the DB directly from the Windows machine.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jamesso:

Don't you have to have the unix server to be samba mounted( or something that let windows see the unix file system) so that Windows can see unix file system, then you can use ODBC, otherwise you can't use ODBC.

am I wrong?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GodKnows:

"Don't you have to have the unix server to be samba mounted( or something that let windows see the unix file system) so that Windows can see unix file system, then you can use ODBC, otherwise you can't use ODBC.

am I wrong?"

Yep ... <grin>

James & David are correct -- you install the client software (specifically the ODBC driver)on your WinX machine.

Now, all of this depends on the ODBC driver, but the typical situation is that the DB Server has a "name" -- and all you do is configure your ODBC connection to use that name (port #, various other stuff obviously) and voila! No need for Samba or anything else. You connect as if the database were "local".

Now - back to the original question -- if you need more than the DB connectivity (e.g. you need to run some commands) you can take the kludge approach of screen-scraping a telnet window ... but reliability suffers. It will mostly work, but you get what you pay for.

------------------

Thanks for all of you. I will use Connect DB ny DSN and will update.

------------------