SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing Java applications (JDK/JRE/JavaScript)

User Niranjan Khare (niranjankhare@hotmail.com.nospam) posted:

Hi all,

I am completely new to testing java with Silk. I have IE5.5 and JDK
    JavaTM 2 SDK, Standard Edition
    Version 1.3.1
    I have tried to follow Silk help (on Using JDK and JRE) to try and record an JavaScript Treeview control and I get a recording only for HTML frames. and Links.

Can somebody send me step by step instructions to setup java support in Silk? I have lots of queries like:

1. I have SilkTest 5.3.02 and IE 5.5 and I use VO mode.should it work or do I need DOM
    2. I have heard a lot of complaints about Silk and IE5 as well as IE 5.5. How do these affect testing for JavaScript?
    3. If I have JDK installed, do I still need to set the CLASSPATH to the Silk Jar File?
    4. I am at the bottom of the ladder for all this java stuff. What implications does JDK/JRE/JavaScript have when testing using silk?
    Can somebody point me to a simple enough webpage or something ON which I can try out this stuff?

Thanks,
    N

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

// =====================
    // The Persistent Bugger
    // =====================

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing Java applications (JDK/JRE/JavaScript)

Are you trying to record a JavaScrirpt Tree Control (which would be recorded as HTML) or a Java Tree Control (which would be JavaJFCTreeView or custom class)? There is a major diffrence between Java and JavaScript, even though they both start with "Java", they are completely unreleated.

That said, on to your questions.

1. I prefer DOM mode, it is much more realiable when testing web applications. However, you should have Hot Fix 3 (5.3.03).

2. Many of the complaints with IE 5.5 is that Silk 5.0.3 doesn't recognise all the objects. Since you are on Silk 5.3, there isn't an issue.

2b. JavaScript is just a way of dynamically representing HTML. Depending on how the JavaScript was written, it will make coding your automation either a pain or a peice of cake (use DOM, get development to add in 'name' attributes to everything).

3. Yes, you still need the Silk Jar file. This is in addition to the JDK information in your CLASSPATH.

4. Don't confuse Java with JavaSCript - they are two completely diffrent launguages with diffrent uses.

5. To learn how to use Silk for Java testing, including how to setup your CLASSPATH, go into SilkTest, Help Menu, select Tutorial, pick Java Tutorials. You'll need to ask youir development team if you are using Java AWT or Swing. There is a tutorial for both. If you want, walk through each of these.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david@e2Open.com
    david_kim@usa.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing Java applications (JDK/JRE/JavaScript)

I just spent some time with the help desk since I was having trouble recognizing Java applets with v 5.0.32 using Netscape 4.77, and IE 5.5 with Java2 (JRE 1.3.1). What I was told is that:
    With SilkTest 5.0.3.2: JDK 1.1 or 1.2 are supported. Netscape 4.7.2 and IE 5.0.1
    It will work with Netscape 4.7.7, but it is not supported by Segue since it was not tested. Remember that 5.0.3.x has been out since before Netscape 4.77 and IE 5.5. Also, you may be able to use IE 5.5, but VO support is untested in 5.0.3.2, so you are on your own.

With SilkTest 5.5: IE 5.5 is supported and Java 1.3 , Any netscape version up to and including 6.0. DOM support is available on IE 5.x and Netscape 6.x.

------------------

[This message has been edited by janek (edited 10-09-2001).]