SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generating Random Integer

Is there a better way to generate a random integer than SilkTest's RandInt() function? I need true random numbers that going through a loop will give a diffrent random number each time. How RandInt does it is you get the same number on a fast loop.

I did make a RandomInt() function (see below), which helps on general random numbers since it is using RandSeed(), but on a loop that just grabs some random numbers, I still get the same numbers.

Anyone have a better way?

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Generating Random Integer

Here's an idea... Only an idea though

Try to have your function sleep a random time (1-3 seconds or so) and after the sleep call the RandInt () function.

You sort of call the RandInt twice one in each other. that doubles your Randomness chances.

Here's another idea:
    ------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 11-01-1999).]
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

jb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you could use the RndSeed function and set the seed value to the current time (converted to an integer).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did use the random seed with the time - the numbers stay the same if you put it through a 11 count loop. Tried doing just the seconds. Still not enough. the code above I am taking the seconds multiplied by the seconds. That works for generall use if I am picking slowly. But if I want to run a loop that just grabs 50 numbers, they will all be the same.

The SilkTest Random algorthm is really bad. I understand that it isn't trully "random", it is a pseudo-random result set, but calling it several concutive time, using a random seed of seconds squared, one would think you could get somewhat diffrent numbers.

I am currently looking for a good mathmatical equation to create my own RandInt() funtion.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, did some more testing on this and found I didn't really have a problem. In normal testing, I am using the RandomInt() function I posted above. This keeps the numbers from being the same each time I run the testcase. For running a loop that I was just many random integers, the default SilkTest RandInt() function with no RandSeed value applied will produce the desired randomness needed.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know that if you're just grabbing the second part, you are not doing a good job of randomizing.

Why don't you use the whole hours, minutes, and seconds? If you want to have more random, then you can modify the result number by itself, as you did in your original
    code.

-Michael Hwee-

[This message has been edited by admin (edited 11-03-1999).]