SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Include file extension \"ppt\"???

In the Options/General Options dialog, the "Include file extensions" field shows:
    inc lib ppt

I use the inc and lib file extensions all the time. What is this "ppt" file extension?
    When do you use it?

Or is this something Segue and its QA staff missed? Seems like someone was playing with PowerPoint files while SilkTest was being built!?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 10-05-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Include file extension \"ppt\"???

I think it is another sloppy programming from Silk. If nobody complains, it is not a problem approach.

According to the documentation:

Include File Extensions

Specifies the default extensions that SilkTest supports for include files. Files with other extensions will be treated like text files. They are displayed in the plain editor only.
    Defaults are inc and lib.

Nothing about ppt. This extension is default for Microsoft Power Point.

------------------
    -Lev Aks
    lev_aks@in-nyc.com

[This message has been edited by levaks (edited 10-05-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Include file extension \"ppt\"???

Never noticed that before, and I use that DialogBox all the time to change help files and history size.

PPT also doesn't show up as a valid extension in the File Open DialogBox for include files. Then again, .lib files aren't there, either.

I created a script using a "use" statement and pointing to actual include files, one with a .lib and then a .ppt file, and both compiled and executed fine. Thinking that virtually anything would be allowed, I tried to include a file with a .foo extension, and the compiler complained that such "is not a valid 4Test extension".

Maybe there's some undocumented feature about SilkTest automatically extracting information from Microsoft PowerPoint files? Sure would be handy if the tests could automatically test for what the marketing and sales people have promised in their PowerPoint presentations. But that's probably not the case.

I imagine this is some carry-over (like .lib files) from an earlier day of SilkTest/QA Partner. I've been using it since QAP 2.0 beta and don't recall any .ppt files. Maybe some 1.0 users (shudder) recall something.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.