SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Differnce Viewer is NOT available

Hello,
    I am using Silktest 5.5. In my test cases (t and inc) I have record some Verify properties. In some cases if my test case fails (date Expected 09/30/01, and Actual 10/01/01),it shows test case fails but either
    1, it does NOT generate differnce Viewer.
    2, some times it has differnce viewer ,but when I select update Expected result It cause an Error message.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Differnce Viewer is NOT available

Getting "Update expected result" to work with the difference viewer can require some tricky syntax (using hidecalls and reraise).
    I posted some examples in the forum about a year ago.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Rob,
    I am using reraise, but some test cases Or functions are working prefectly, while others are NOT. I checked my scripts but did not find any specific reason.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is kind of a flaky mechanism.
    It works with the line numbers put in your results file.

This means that if you run a test and "update" one difference, and the number of lines in your updated data is different than the original -- then the numbering changes after that point and updates after that point won't work.

As a workaround, you can start you "updates" at the END of the results and work backward.

There are more flaky issues in this mechanism. What is the exact error that your script gives you ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Attached is Error Message

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

userk53:

The error message:
    "Unable to replace expected value."
    "Verify function must be passed an expected value using <text> or {...}."

means that you are doing one of two things:

1. You are using the optional third parameter to the Verify function, the "message describing the comparison".
    Don't use this if you want to use the update mechanism with LIST OF STRING variables.
    It is a design bug of SilkTest's Verify/Update mechanism. (You can use it with non-list variable types)
    Instead of the message, you can put a print() or LogError() in the except clause that traps your Verify() error.

2. Your "Expected Data" MUST immediately follow the Verify() function as part of a "list constructor" (<text> or {...}).
    If you want to use the update mechanism, it cannot be a variable assigned elsewhere in the script.
    This limitation makes a lot of SilkTest users abandon the "Update expected value" mechanism.
    I kind of like it, however, because it helps me to enforce the separation of test data from test code.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com