SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\"Error: Variable Browser is not defined\" - what am I missing

I am running 5.0.3.2 on Win NT. I have been bouncing between web testing and non-web Java testing for several weeks without any problems. I am currently testing my non-web app and have been getting this error in my results file after running every testcase:

[ ] *** Error: Variable Browser is not defined
    [ ] Occurred in DefaultTestCaseExit at defaults.inc(315)

The error refers to "Browser" after the "do" statement below:
    [-] DefaultTestCaseExit (BOOLEAN bException)
    ....[-] if (bException)
    ........[ ] ExceptLog ()
    ....[-] else
    ........[-] do
    ............[ ] @"Browser".WaitForReady ()
    ........[ ] except
    ....[ ]
    ....[ ] SetBaseState ()

I do not have any web extensions enabled on either the host or target machines. SilkTest Help tells me to enable at least one browser extension, but I'm not testing a web app, so that doesn't make sense for my situation. My Use Path and Use Files do not contain any web references. I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dano (edited 10-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: \"Error: Variable Browser is not defined\" - what am I missing

Just wondering why you are indirectly referring to the "Browser" when you are not testing a Web app or don't have any Browser Extensions enabled?
    Could it be that one of your windows is named "Browser"? Hmm...that can be confusing when you switch back and forth between your Web and Client/Server apps. I hope you don't have your .inc file named "browser.inc".

You may want to check your partner.ini file to see if there is nothing "left over" settings from your Web app testing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 10-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the Extension Enabler and Extensions dialogs to verify no browser options are set. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall SilkTest.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This line is present in DefaultTestCaseExit, (and a similar line in DefaultBaseState) even if silktest is installed without support for browser testing.
    I recommend you just comment out those lines because they are no use unless you are testing browsers. Seems to have worked for us here.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the replies.

Gilbert, I can't see any place where I am referring to "Browser" - no windows named "Browser" and no .inc file named "browser.imc" (except for the one in the SilkTest\Extend directory). The only web related stuff in my partner.ini file are the following lines.
    [Extension: iexplore.exe#4]
    [Extension: iexplore.exe#5]
    Because they are in brackets and nothing is below either line, I assume they should not matter.

John, there are definitely no browser extensions enabled through either the Extension Enabler or the Options | Extensions dialog. I suppose I could do the uninstall/reinstall routine - if the problem is really with SilkTest (and not just with me) then that might be the way to go - but I was expecting to determine that I had missed something.

Vince, the only problem that I have with commenting out those lines is that it will give me yet one more thing to have to remember to do when I switch back and forth between my web and non-web testing.

I'll play around with some of these ideas (and continue to solicit other suggestions).

Thanks again for all of your help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What I meant by "indirectly referring to the Browser" is that somehow your testcase is calling the DefaultTestCaseExit () which in turn has the @"Browser" reference. Same thing with the DefaultBaseState ().
    Both these functions are in the defaults.inc file. You may want to check and see if you are using this "defaults.inc" file.

------------------