SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technical Challenge for SilkTest

I'm interested in identifying an area of my application that SilkTest will find difficult to automate the testing of. The application is written using Delphi5. I'm looking to evaluate the tool with a view to automating regression testing.

Does anybody have any experience of situations where SilkTest has struggled to successfully automate tests?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Technical Challenge for SilkTest

Yeah.. we have an application written in Visual FoxPro and SilkTest can't see anything!!

I've automated a few little things, but that's only by sending keystrokes (TABS, etc). You can't really test the application properly because there is no object recognition/interaction, so you can't GetText, verifyProperties... etc.. like you normally would.

The other thing is that it is unreliable sending Keystrokes through... since you'll have to enter sleep() statements between screens because SilkTest will be unable to tell if the next screen is ready.... and if response times are inconsistent then you've got problems.

The only bits of verification you could probably do are Bitmap verification, but this is a lot of work when nothing is recognised.

It's not economical to automate as it requires more scripting than one which recognizes the objects, then you've got higher maintenance and the reliability factor.

In your case it may be different if it is only a small area of the application, then it may be worth a try. However I'm sure I've seen posts regarding SilkTest and Delphi with success... might be worth a search.

Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Beeblemaster (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Beeblemaster (edited 10-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup!

SilkTest cannot see the green screens in our Java terminal emulation apps.

If you are doing Delphi testing, list member "godknows" can offer you a litany of woes testing with SilkTest.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your application contains GUI objects that are not part of the "standard API" of your platform, SilkTest probably can't "see" them for what they are.

With Java, however, SilkTest is able to see a lot of "custom" objects and their methods. You can experiment to figure out what they do, and your developers can add additional methods to make their objects "scriptable".

I do not know if Delphi has this capability.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Yeah.. we have an application written in Visual FoxPro and SilkTest can't see anything!!

None of the commercially available test automation tools (Silk, WR, Visual Test, etc.) can recognize the UI elements of a Visual FoxPro application. This is not a fault of the test tool, it is the non-standard manner in which VF implements it's UI elements.

As for testing Delphi applications, you might want to take a look at AQ Test. Check out http://automatedqa.com/

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer

[This message has been edited by Tony Mrozinski (edited 10-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Been testing Delphi apps using SilkTest all along. Custom objects are plenty as well as unrecognized objects. Good news though is that "Work-arounds" are even more. Just spend a little more time than usual and I'm sure you'll be able to find/discover those "work-arounds" that I'm talking about. Once you get through this Delphi apps testing with SilkTest, testing applications written in supported languages such as C/C++ would almost be a "piece of cake" for you!

Similar to what President Bush said "let's hunt down those terrorists (custom and unrecognized objects) and smoke them out of their hiding places (apply those work-arounds) if we have to".
    Never give up just because you are facing some invisible enemies or "unrecognized objects". A few years ago, I called Borland and asked some people there what Test Tool they use to test their own product, Delphi, and surprisingly each one of them said "don't know".

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 10-02-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, agreed. SilkTest can map to most (if not all) of the controls of a Delphi app

------------------